howdy Mike, here is a 110 mpg Prius

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/08/09/team-achieves-over-100-mpg-in-toyota-prius/

my prius gets about 53 mpg ave during mild weather and drops to the high
  40s in really cold weather- a month or two a year. Driving is a mix of
highway and city. Highway speed is between 55 and 60.

Mike Weaver wrote:
> I've done extensive tests, involving titration, iteration, recursions,
> incursions and regression to the mean.  I've calculated
> the modulus and the regulus, not to mention the pendulus and I always
> come back to the same thing:  I don't really know what
> I'm talking about.
>
> Actually, what I probably should have said was:  On long road trips I've
> noticed the mileage really starts to drop after the
> engine rpm's go past about 1850.  At about 1850 rpm, the car is going
> around 58-59 mph, and gets around 58-59 mph on
> very flat land w/ cruise control.  The mileage goes down to the high
> 40's if I follow traffic speed- 70 - 75 mph.
>
> I expect it would do better at 55.
>
> There is some guy claiming 1440 miles for one tank of gas in a TDI
> Golf.  My best is only around 850 or so, all highway.
>
> -Mike
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Some 30 or so years ago I read from several source that the best
>> mileage was obtained from North American cars around 35-40 mph.
>>
>> I understand the the cars in the transcontinental mileage contests that
>> used to be held were specially modified with gear rations and
>> transmissions to accelerate from about 5 mph to about 15 mph, switch off,
>> coast down to 5 mph and start and accelerate again. That way they got the
>> drag advantage of low speed plus the engine efficiency advantage of
>> operating at high manifold pressure during acceleration (but not too high
>> manifold pressure, avoiding rich mixture).
>>
>> Continuous opertion at a steady speed at high manifold pressure and low
>> speed would involve such extreme overdrive (except maybe with a
>> continuously variable transmission) that it would be very hard to
>> accelererate or handle even gentle hills, and the car would be very hard
>> to drive.
>>
>> Car drag is a mixture of rolling resistance (power consumption varies
>> directly as the square of the speed) and air drag (power consumption
>> varies directly as the cube of the speed).
>>
>> I am *really* suprised that someone would get best mileage at 59 mph
>> and I suspect something odd going on. It seems to me that the drag would
>> be just too high regardless of how the gearing was optimized.
>>
>> Doug Woodard
>> St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
>>

>> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Mike Weaver wrote:
>>

>>> for whatever reason my Golf seems to get the best mileage at 59 mph.

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman