Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:33 AM
Subject: [Biofuel] Check Your Beliefs

Forewardet by Fritz

Check Your Beliefs

By Charley Reese

03/17/06 -- -- Let's play a fantasy game to check on
our belief in human rights. Let's suppose that in a
mythical state, a governor announced a campaign to
punish African-Americans for alleged violence.

Step one is to confiscate the land owned by
African-Americans, evict them from it and use the land
to build massive new subdivisions. Only white
Protestant Christians may live in these subdivisions.

Step two is to connect these all-white Protestant
Christian settlements to each other by a highway on
which African-Americans are forbidden to drive. To
facilitate control, the automobile tags for
African-Americans will be a different color from the
tags issued to white motorists. Checkpoints would be
set up all around the state capitol to search and
harass African-Americans trying to enter.

Would you support such a plan? Would you hail that
mythical governor as a man of peace? Would you go to
your church congregation and ask the members to send
money to the occupants of these white settlements?
Would you lobby the federal government to subsidize
this new apartheid state in our midst?

I don't think so. I think most Americans would
consider such acts an abomination, un-American and a
mockery of everything both Christianity and the United
States stand for.

Well, if you would condemn such acts here directed
against African-Americans, why won't you condemn
identical acts committed against the Palestinians by
the state of Israel?

Those settlements you hear about are built on
Palestinian land, and they are for Jews only. New
roads that Palestinians are forbidden to use connect
them. The entire West Bank is riddled with Israeli
checkpoints, where innocent Palestinians are daily
humiliated and harassed. A trip to a nearby village
can mean waiting in line at checkpoints for hours.
Palestinians have died in these lines.

After all of these humiliations, abuses, the houses
destroyed, the children killed, the olive trees
uprooted, how do you think Palestinians feel about
Americans who support the Israelis no matter what they
do to the Palestinians? Don't take my word about these
abuses. Check out the Israeli human-rights
organization at www.btselem.org/English.

If you cannot condemn the flagrant abuses of
Palestinians by the Israeli government, then you are
undoubtedly a bigot, the worst kind of racist pig who
believes that Palestinians are some kind of subspecies
of the human race. If you do condemn in your heart
these terrible abuses, but are afraid to speak out
about them, then you are a damned coward.

I listened in disgust to a congressional committee
hearing on the Palestinian elections. It was all about
what the Palestinians have to do. It was as if the
cops, interviewing a child who had been raped by an
adult, lectured the child on dressing provocatively
and of being in places she should not have been in.

The Palestinians are the victims here. It is their
land that is occupied. They have no army. They are at
the mercy of the Israeli government. They don't have a
superpower protecting them from international
sanctions and supplying them with billions of dollars.
The United States should be telling Israel to get out
of the West Bank and East Jerusalem, to dismantle its
settlements and checkpoints, and to allow Palestinian
refugees to return to or be compensated for the land
the Israelis stole.

You want to know why we have a problem with terrorism?
It's not Islamic fundamentalists or hatred of freedom.
It's our support of Israel's unspeakable abuse of
Palestinians. Don't blame Osama bin Laden. Blame the
president, Congress, the American Israel Public
Affairs Committee and all the cowardly Americans who
practice hypocrisy by claiming to be moral while
supporting gross immorality committed against their
fellow human beings in Palestine.

© 2006 by King Features Syndicate, Inc.

"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground."

- Anonymous