"Using vegetable oils or animal fats as fuel for motor vehicles is in
effect running them on solar energy. All biofuels, including ethanol,
are derived from the conversion of sunlight to energy (carbohydrates)
that takes place in the green leaves of plants.

"Plants take up carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere; burning
plant (or animal) products in an engine releases the CO2 uptake back
into the atmosphere, to be taken up again by other plants. The CO2 is
recycled, atmospheric CO2 levels remain constant. Thus biofuels do
not increase global warming -- unlike fossil fuels, which release
large amounts of new (or rather very old) CO2 which has been locked
away from the atmosphere for aeons.

"In fact biodiesel can actually reduce CO2 levels in the atmosphere:
for example, growing soybeans takes nearly four times as much CO2 out
of the atmosphere as the amount of CO2 released in the exhaust from
burning soybean oil biodiesel."

-- Greenhouse gases and global warming
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html#greenhouse

But the reduction is only temporary, in the end it all returns to the
atmosphere anyway -- see "[Biofuel] CO2 emissions" for a good
explanation from Tom Kelly:
http://snipurl.com/rmgo
Sat Jun 10 2006

Best