Zeke wrote: "But both used Advanced DC motors which don't allow regen...  But they are only about $1,600 for the motor, and probably under $4k for a complete drive system, compared to $32k for a single purchase of a AC Propulsion complete drive system -- so you can see why everyone uses the series DC motors for conversions."

Zeke, I agree that AC is not the best choice for conversions. I just wanted to add that AC motors can have efficiencies comparable to DC but, only when run at higher speeds. If you slow them down and the speeds approach zero, variable frequency drives will still deliver a high inductive load. I think you and some others on this list already know what happens when you deliver AC near zero Hz through an inductive load.

-Redler

Zeke Yewdall wrote:
I've seen one or two civic conversions.  One late 80's, and one mid 90's era.  Seemed pretty nice, especially the 90's one which used a 9" motor and a 120 volt battery pack, which is generally used in the small pickup conversions -- it could easily turf the tires if you launched to quickly.  But both used Advanced DC motors which don't allow regen...  But they are only about $1,600 for the motor, and probably under $4k for a complete drive system, compared to $32k for a single purchase of a AC Propulsion complete drive system -- so you can see why everyone uses the series DC motors for conversions.  I've also got a line on an old Electrek, which uses a shunt wound GE motor, so it's got regen too.  I almost bought it before I moved to the mountains where I have a 4,000 vertical feet commute.  It will make it, but only at 10 or 15mph or so, which given the speed limit of 35, and traffic speed of 45, would annoy all the SUV drivers...   Putting NiMH batteries in it would probably improve it a bit by dropping the curb weight, but those are pricey too.....