Keith,

>Right Todd, more big-central stuff, with a cast of millions (of
>dollars)

Being cynical is fine and quite often healthy. Being oblivious to what
surrounds one is often to one's own and other's detriment.

There are over 15,000 commercial boilers in the US. We're not speaking of just
hot water to take showers, but multi-million btu boilers with thousands of tons
of CO2 going out the stack and to no other use than more global warming.

Now that's a jolly happy prospect, yes? (Not!!!)

And that doesn't even touch the tip of the iceberg. The number fails to include
industrial kilns, furnaces and ovens. Ever seen the enormous flares off a steel
mill? More often than not, no co-gen. No nothing. Just waste.

Do you think that maybe we should just let business be conducted as usual, or
do you think that perhaps at least one responsible approach is to show the
"greedy, capitalist pigs" that they can make a profit by doing something that
reduces global warming?

This isn't advocacy of consumption, not at present levels or increased. Nor is
it an acceptance of the mis-programming that "stuff" is where the joy of life
is to be found. It is, on the other hand, an acceptance of the fact that
something has to be done to get these damn fools to stop their waste and the
inevitable destruction, even if it means that some or many will try to
greenwash the effort.

If they can be induced by profit to make an environmental gain? Would you
prefer that they do nothing instead?

So just for grins and giggles, how about we divide 15,000 by, oh...., let's
see..., maybe 50 states? That works out to be 300 bio-reactors/biodiesel plants
per state, or approximately one plant every radius a skosh less than nine
miles. (3,539,224 sq miles in the US.)

Seems to me that were it a perfect world, that would come very close to being
micro-regional. Unfortunately, commercial kilns, boilers, furnaces and ovens
aren't necessarily spaced in such a fashion, but you surely get the gist of the
matter.

And it doesn't mean that micro-regional plants using WVO or SVO have to be
abolished just because larger industry might take on a larger share of
biodiesel production. It's a very large world and the primary focus/purpose is
to prevent it from being destroyed, not necessarily to dry up the cash flow of
the wealthy, albeit not an extremely unattractive notion.

>no interest whatsoever for local projects,

Please see above...

>and, as yet, no
>production

Well? As of yet I'm not fifty. But short of calling the hand of a gun-toting
card cheat in the middle of a poker match, it's more than a fair bet that I'll
get there. We didn't use to have steel mills and coal-fired power plants
either. Funny how things transpire, both good, bad and in between. They often
need the permission of neither of us.

>should we perhaps sell everything so we can invest in
>the new fossil-fuel plants it will help to paint green too?

Did I say "everything?" I thought not.

Would you rather a barge load of green paint or the inevitable consequences of
continuing global warming and in most probability global destruction, or at
least the destruction of human un-civilization as we know it?

Personally? I'd rather forestall the latter for as long as possible.

Todd Swearingen