 From: Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: Re: [Biofuel] GeoExchange, on the cheap
 Sent: 04 Aug '06 14:23

 Hey Kirk;

 Ever slept on a waterbed that got unplugged and woken up at 4 am
 shivering?  Cooling my bed....uh ...no thanks.

 Joe

 Kirk McLoren wrote:

 Yes but using water like that certainly is only possible for a few. Most
 water systems are stressed already. The best method would be to use the
 latent heat of evaporation. It is important to know the relative humidity
 where you are.

 The "koolsuit" is a legitimate suggestion. 10 pounds of ice in a backpack
 with circulatory system for arms and legs is a viable low energy low
 impact system.

 1 pound of water water will absorb 1 BTU when raised 1 degree F. If you
 need many BTU the volume becomes considerable.

 Just as using fluorescent instead of tungsten makes sense so does limiting
 cooling to a suit and mattress also make sense.

 We need to soften our impact on the world around us.

 Kirk

 _MIKE REDLER [LINK: MAILTO:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>_
 wrote:  Understood. But, why would I care if the sewer is a good heat sink?
 I suggested that the sewer be used as a way of discharging water after it
 had absorbed heat from inside the house (or apartment).

 I'm interested in finding a medium which is better than hot summer air
 for cooling the condenser and proposed that water, already cooled from
 being underground has the same benefit as geoexchange without the cost of
 digging a hole.

 - Redler

 Kirk McLoren wrote:

 Sewer lines are engineered for the load. Trust me they didnt install
 larger pipes so you can use them as a heat sink.

 The smaller the load the cheaper to refrigerate. A "koolsuit" would take
 maybe 300 watts.

 The rule of thumb in ac sizing is a ton per dozen occupants.

 Kirk

 _MIKE REDLER [LINK: MAILTO:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>_
 wrote:  Bob, Joe, et al

 Sure, that much I knew. But, what I meant by "on the cheap" was to use
 the existing infrastructure (i.e. existing, underground water lines) as
 the ground source instead of requiring a new hole to be dug. Sewer lines
 could be used as a conduit for sending heat out of the house (or
 apartment). Perhaps the heated water could be contained and used as
 domestic hot water for the laundry (for example). I know that there is at
 least one company in Florida that pumps heat from one's attic into the
 domestic hot water supply so, it's quite possible.

 Using city water and sewer lines as conduit for ground sourcing wouldn't
 be a closed loop and I'm not sure of the volume (cost) of water required
 for it to be effective. The part I like about it is the apparent low cost
 in implementing it. In areas of the city where digging a hole gets
 complicated, this might be an effective alternative.

 -Redler

 bob allen wrote:

 It's being done all over the country.  It's called ground source heat
 pumps.  the condenser uses the ground (more specifically water in it)   as
 the heat sink.  It is fairly simple set up if you have a well. If   not a
 contractor Takes a back hoe and lays plastic pipe horizontally   for
 hundreds of feet a couple of feet down.    [LINK:
 http://www.geoexchange.org/] http://www.geoexchange.org/        now if you
 mean is anybody "rolling their own" water cooled air   condenser, I don't
 know.        Mike Redler wrote:

 Hi everyone,    As with many in this forum, I've been trying to stay cool
 today without   switching on the AC. It's tempting but, so far I've
 resisted.    I was standing under the shower head, thinking about what my
 air   conditioner might be doing had it been  turned on. Specifically, how
 the   condenser responds to a difference in temperature and how that
 difference kinda sucks on an especially hot day.    That lead me to a
 question. What would happen if you used cool city   water to collect
 condenser heat? The warm water could then be sent down   the drain and
 discarded.    I'm just thinking out loud here and I wouldn't be at all
 surprised if    someone else tried this. If so, please speak up. I
 wouldn't want to   reinvent the wheel here.    I have absolutely no
 numbers to back up the viability of this idea   but,   I do know that
 water is a better conductor of heat than (dry) air and   the difference in
 temperature (outside air temp - city water temp) can   conceivably be 35+
 degrees F.    It's so damn hot, I'm thinking of dissecting an air
 conditioner or   dehumidifier and adapting it to my bathtub right now,
 with a fan blowing   the cool air into the hallway. Of course, if the
 energy savings were not   substantial I'd be  kind of annoyed at myself
 for not crunching the   numbers first.    ...any thoughts?    -Redler

 [LINK: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html]

 Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000
 messages):
 [LINK: http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/]