Well, most of Germany and a large part of France was similarly
hypnotised. Theologian Reinhold Neiber noted (paraphrased) "that crowds
also bring with them a lurking evil: if you’re not careful, you run the
risk of mob mentality that will enable you and me to do things that we
would never even dream of doing on our own.". In “1984”, George Orwell
warned us against groupthink.

I am not sure the the situation is so dire, but the elements are
present, and have been called out by many in the the media, academia and
philosophy arena:

THE BROOKINGS INSTITUTION
THE GOOD FIGHT:
LIBERALS, CONSERVATIVES, AND THE WAR ON TERROR

“It is by no means flawless, but it helps along a necessary discussion
about what liberals are obliged to say and do about American foreign
policy, for we are so obligated, and I doubt there are more than a few
handfuls in the United States of America who
disagree, although there are some so deranged by George W. Bush as to
refuse to agree for
fear that if they agree with him that the U.S lies north of Mexico, say,
they’re selling out.
Here are just a few observations,”

More:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:8IbFd_lqD8oJ:www.brookings.edu/comm/events/20060607.pdf+life+of+Reinhold+Neiber&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&lr=lang_en

Kirk McLoren wrote:

> [...]
>     statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the
>     imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to
>     comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and
>     livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society./
>
>     /In the councils of government, we must guard against the
>     acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by
>     the *military-industrial complex*. The potential for the disastrous
>     rise of misplaced power exists and will persist./
>
>     /We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our
>     liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for
>     granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the
>     proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of
>     defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and
>     liberty may prosper together./
>
>     But I really don't see that the current crop of neocons getting any
>     traction until Reagan. Yes, Nixon was a true paranoid lunatic, but he
>     imploded of his own madness. Reagan's crowd sanded off the scary
>     edges,
>     packaged it in a genial package and it's been off to the races ever
>     since. The Rupublican party began morphing then, but truly died in
>     2000,
>     as a new creature evolved, The Neocon Republican. This new
>     creature was
>     not constrained by by any ethical boundaries or moral
>     consideration. The
>     fascinating thing is that the values it espouses are diametrically
>     opposed to those of the original Republicans: small government ('nuff
>     said - spy cameras, anyone?) fiscal responsibility - we're
>     borrowing a
>     billion a week to finance wars we can't win and tax cuts we can't
>     afford, a strong military - ours is now stretched so thin we'd be in
>     trouble if Paraguay invaded us, state's rights - Gay marriage? The
>     list
>     goes on. How did all this change - seemingly overnight?
>     Frankly I don't see how half the country morphed. Today's Democrat
>     is a
>     Republican from 1950.
>
>     I do think many of the current crop of "leaders" fall in one or
>     more of
>     the categories below. The rest are brainwashed. With fair voting
>     pretty
>     much out the door, I wonder if a grassroots revolution is the only
>     hope.
>

>     Kirk McLoren wrote:
>
>     > I actually subscribe more to the theory that 4% of the
>     population is
>     > basically wolves in sheeps clothing and not as normal as they would
>     > have us believe. I also believe that given sufficient power (ie
>     money)
>     > these people will foment as much suffering in the world as will
>     > possibly further their greed or whatever motivates them.

Phone (703) 519-7180 Fax (703) 519-7190
*Page 4*

4
Anderson Court Reporting