On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 06:29:51PM -0400, Thomas Kelly wrote:
> Rafal,
>      I assume you are doing 1L test batches? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes. Actually these are 1 or 2l test batches. For agitation I use a small
water pump originally designed for larger aquaria and also recently used
in water cooling systems for PCs. Manufacturer says it's capacity is 700
liters per hour. Even considering higher viscosity of oil it should be
enough for 5l testing container. Do you think it is ? I can provide some
pictures if it helps (I've done a bit of documentation).

>      Do you know the purity of the KOH you are using?

Yes, it's 99% pure from chemical supplier, though I've noticed it's
a little bit calcinated (some flakes are too white, in my opinion).
I have also tried NaOH (same purity) before with the same result.

>      I have heard of virgin oil containing some FFA. I have no experience
> with such oil.

It's probably normal, as it sounds impossible to make fresh oil with
absolutely no FFAs. The question is - what amount is 'normal' and what
is definately not ?

--
cheers,

 Rafal Szczesniak      **mir[at]diament.iit.pwr.wroc.pl
 Samba Team member     mi***[at]samba.org