I read all the responses initiated by the Illich quote. (IMO) Kirk is one of the few who really gets it.

Claims of “the problem” being social or a result of religious dogma has merit. However, when considering that public schools follow policies set by the same government that have also embraced a policy of manufacturing consent all the way back to the Wilson administration (formal doctrines), it’s wise to ask yourself where one would go for access to the masses and implement such a policy.

Wilson and the Creel Committee:

Other comments about where one learned reading, writing, math, history and science provoke an argument of its own, since our system is not competitive with much of the World. In terms of it’s relation to Illich, it misses the point completely. Absorbing and regurgitating knowledge in the subjects listed above do not address the conditioning in which public schools have been so effective.

I had more to say but, I think the original quote stands on it’s own merit – especially when a little research reveals the state of our education system and the bizarre interpretation of U.S. history which allows us to deny the genocide of native Americans even while flipping through the phone book for our favorite pizza place (for example).

It is this portion of the quote which I think of whenever “No Child Left Behind” re-enters the news:

“The pupil is thereby "schooled" to confuse teaching with learning, grade advancement with education, a diploma with competence, and fluency with the ability to say something new.”

It’s also the reason that unconventional systems like Montessori have become popular and home schooling is developing into an effort shared by entire communities, causing it to improve with the incorporation of social interaction.

By the way, this isn’t the first time we’ve discussed Ivan Illich:

…etc., etc.

-Redler