Tom,
I did actually get about a 1/4cup of Glycerin from the method. Now that
said i don't know if it was actually Glycerin or perhaps some FFA's or
just plain black stuff that settled out in the acid phase.  This is
where I am just making the assumption that this is in fact Glycerin.

One thing that I have found is there are three types of cooking oil out
there.

1) good and clean where you can use any method and get a good yield.
2) As Bob Stated below, but I would like to say that at some point there
is a diminishing return when the oil gets to bad.
3) Oil that is so bad that no matter what you do, you will not like the
results. This oil is better off going to the Large scale producer that
converts the oil to all FFA before conversion as the stuff I worked with
was just a mess.

So if the oil is Black leave it at the shack.

Jim