The conspiracy theorist in me (and perhaps the cynic) believes we are
limited in our internet connection speeds because the FBI and NSA can't
read your data transmissions that fast.  Now, if they'd stop moving
their lips while reading they could read faster!

doug swanson

D. Mindock wrote:

>Hi Kirk,
>I think business intranets can benefit from super fast connects. Also
>gamers. As folks see that
>faster speeds are available o'seas for much less than we're getting stuck
>with, then they might
>start complaining to their congress reps. Yeah, it does seem that the
>fastest downloads I've
>gotten have been about 0.5 megabits/sec. The downloading server is the weak
>link, I can't get bits
>here any faster than the server can spit them out.  But, there is a
>technology called bit torrents
>which allows downloads from multiple servers simultaneously. This allows big
>files, like movies, to
>be downloaded in minutes, if one has a broadband connection. Limewire, a
>peer-to-peer file sharing program
>uses it, I believe.
>Peace, D. Mindock

Contentment comes not from having more, but from wanting less.

All generalizations are false.  Including this one.