DEMOCRATIC IDEAS, XII: FOCUSING ON THE CONSTITUTION”

by Steven Jonas, MD, MPH

9/15/06

The Political Junkies

George Bush is the worst President the United States has ever had. Notice that I did not use the word “arguably.” He simply is. For one reason. He is the first President ever to have as his primary goal the destruction of the Constitutional, Democratic, system under which he took power (notice that I did not say “elected”). This is for him the absolutely primary goal. For the nation as a whole it would obviously be an unmitigated disaster. It stands above even those of: further entrenching the power of the extractive industries and further securing their dominance over U.S. economic and environmental policy; reducing the functions of the government other than those of repression at home and military expansion abroad, to the barest minimums; and filling the pockets of his rich supporters at the expense of the public treasury.