Hi Golan;

You can use a hydrometer in the range of 0.7 to 0.9 to measure the specific gravity of your methanol.  The hydrometers are usually calibrated for 16 degrees C though so measuring at room temperature will result in a lower reading.   What I did was get some very pure methanol and some water and let them sit at the ambient temperature and then acurrately measure small amounts of water and add to a measured amont of methanol.  Take the readings and make a graph to show the percentage water ( volume /volume) at the temperature you are working at.  Then you can use the hydrometer as a gauge of your water content.  This may not be perfectly accurate but will be good enough to tell you if your methanol is contaminated.  If you have a temperature close to 23 degrees you can use my data, it is here:

http://www.nonprofitfuel.ca/Reactor.html

Best regards.
Joe

Golan Shmuel wrote:
hi tom

     Causes of soap:
  1. Water in oil/chemicals used
  2. Too much caustic
  3. Glycerine contamination

- Is your oil dry/your chemicals pure?
- Careful titration, calculations, measurement of caustic
- Do you allow the glycerine mix to settle out for 8 hrs?

since my caustic is 99% pure at list day say so and i let the glycerin mix to settle for
 24-48 hrs.
i titrated every batch at list twice, got good scale.
 that lives us with water in oil or in methanol
 i let the oil to settle for at list week or two before processing and titration values around 1
it may be methanol
any idea how to check methanol for water??

thanks alot
Golan