Hi Keith,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Some composting

Hello Jim

>Dave,
>I just started my winter pile, and I added about a gallon, I add
>more when I get it but it seems that gets things moving pretty fast.
>It usually takes about a week before my pile really takes off.

How hot does it get? Also, how big is it?

I never did a measurement but it is very warm say 120 or so I can stand to
have my hand in it but is a bit uncomforatable in places. I take 2 10"X 2" X
16 foot boards and place them 5 feet apart. I fill this with the mix and
till it all together then fork it in from the ends till it is to the top of
the boards. So it is about 10" deep 5 feet wide and usually about 12 feet
long.

>If it doesn't go after a week I just add more HCA turn it maybe
>sprinkle a little soil on top and wash it in. If it still does
>not take off then I may change the ratio of greens a bit. Be patient
>is the best advice. I add HCA each time I turn the pile each week.

Turning each week, wow, too much work! Try for no turning at all,
better result too.

I add greens and browns about once a month so that is why I till it together
at that frequency. I will try not doing so much mixing.

Jim

Best

Keith

>I just spread what I composted over the summer on my front lawn. I
>bet I hauled in 20 wheel barrows of stuff into it this summer
>including about 20 gallons of Biodiesel bi product and hauled out 2
>when it was done.  I use some wood chips that I get free at work as
>my browns.  I have found that if you can chop and disperse your
>greens they eliminate faster and there is less chance of rot smell.
>So far my compost has never given off a bad smell it is always a
>fresh earthy smell.
>
>Well best of luck, composting is really worth the effort you just
>cannot believe the difference in everything from the vibrancy of
>your flowers to the health of your plants.  I even think plants get
>so healthy that they attract good insects as well as have something
>in them that discourages pests.  This year my Organic composted plot
>was almost weed free, I had zero bug loss and it doubled the yield
>when compared to the other plot that had all the
>best commercial fertilizers money could be wasted on. Next year I
>plan on being 100% organic and that includes my lawn.
>
>Jim

messages):