I don't think that adding water would be the right way to go.  I think the
problem is that ethanol has a higher vapor pressure than gasoline, and in
cold weather, it is hard to get it to vaporize into a fuel-air mixture
effectively.  Gasoline vaporizes much easier, and gets the engine going and
initiates the combustion.  But water has an even higher vapor pressure than
ethanol, plus it is not a fuel, so I don't think it would help.  Since all
of the commercially produced flex fuel vehicals that I've seen are designed
to run E85, I think they just rely on the gasoline content to start in the
winter.  What bugs me is that I can't buy any flex fuel vehicals that are
efficient -- I mean, if I want a flex fuel vehical, I have to upgrade to a
full sized pickup or a V8 sedan.   Where's the little 4 cylinder efficient
flex fuel vehical?  Guess it's not all that hard to change out carbureator
jets to change the fuel air ratio yourself to allow running ethanol.