Hi Jim,

Thanks for your input. You sparked a train of thought that led to some
fruitful searches on the net – the key was “heat exchanger”. The best way to
set up what I want to do is utilise a thermal store type tank with 3
integral heating coils for solar (bottom of tank), wood stove & backup
condensing boiler (middle of tank). This type of tank seems to be the most
efficient way of incorporating all heat sources & utilising the heat for
both hot water & space heating in one unit with minimal pipe work. But an
added advantage is that it will provide mains pressure drinkable hot water
on demand (using a heat exchanger to heat mains water with hot water from
the thermal store) with fast recovery after heat depletion for both hot
water & space heating.

I’ve found a company in the UK that build custom tank units & I may have to
pay £700 for what I want, but with the pipe work costs (including the solar
collector – home build) & the price of the wood stove it should pay itself
off within 2 years. (I’ll do the installation myself)

So hopefully I can soon shake off the gas grid dependency, at least for most
of the time!

Keep fingers crossed.

I’ll keep you all posted on how things progress.

Best regards to all.

Malcolm

  _____