Kewl! So would I be able to snag a pound of worms from you guys when I have my bin finished? I could barter with B100.....

Joe

Jesse Frayne wrote:

Hi Joe,
Keith and Tom have this information all covered, but
we have a little website here in the 'Smoke that might
also be helpful?  One of our daughters set up
vermiculture bins in her U. of T. rez, (a bin per
floor!) transferring hundreds of our red wigglers. The kids have accepted the idea really well.

www.city.toronto.on.ca/compost

Jesse

--- Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Luke;

Any wisdom to share on the best way to set up a
vermicomposter? I'd like to start one and I'd be the type to make my own rather than go out and buy something ready made, but I haven't a clue about the realities of doing it. I have read some info on the web about it though. If you could share some of your first hand knowledge it
would be great.

Joe

Luke Hansen wrote:

It sounds like you're all talking about a kinda
large-scale operation here, so I'm not sure how
useful
this will be...but I just built a worm-bin for the
place I work, and have one at home as well...and I
find that they work faster and better for my
composting needs than a conventional composting
bin. I
crafted my latest bin out of untreated cedar siding
leftover from a construction project.

However, I suppose that for larger volume
applications
such as lawn trimmings, I'd second the pallet idea.

Good luck,
Luke

--- Paul S Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Pallets are particularly useful.  Usually you can
pick up 3 for free and
either have an open side or I had some leftover
window screen, which allows
air flow.

Also, if you have room you can get 5 pallets and
make a double bin...using a
UU shape.