I don't usually chime in too much however I did want to point out
something. I do agree with looking at safe composting of humanure, my town
has specifically said NO to homeowners doing such a thing though... they
tested the compost (our Master Gardner program was part of this research)
and found that they could not safely tell folks it was ok to use. It did
have trace of drugs. They said yes, it would be ok on non food plants, but
they are still researching the fruit trees. Tomatoes etc heck no (ie: food
bearing plants). So because of the results they banned any use of humanure
for any use. It MUST be connected to a sewer or septic tanks. Huge fines
and jail time if we don't follow the directions.

I was upset since it was shown in our area (Arizona) that it could be used
on non food plants, that it would (the tests showed)be unlikely to make it
to our watershed to cause problems. Currently our waters are showing
drugs, prozac was the big one. That is because of the city programs and
how they make so many mistakes (like accidentally putting sweet water
through our drinking water lines then over chlorinating us) I was glad
that they scientifically made their choice. They used facts and science,
not just oh well I have done it for years and never been sick.

I think more research needs to be done. Until then I break the law and do
my own composting putting it on non food plants.

I think that both sides need to be heard and not attacked here, I
appreciate hearing both sides, I do my research on most things, but I
always learn something when folks post here... so I do appreciate all of
the points of views and comments here.

Judy Lynn (dont flame me!)