The major destroyer of roads in my region is over gross commercial vehicles
during hot weather.
  Down by the potato plant they put grooves in the road in 6 weeks. Under
proper loads that road lasts 15 years.
  Need more men with portable scales
  or strain guages built into 18 wheeler trailers.

  Kirk

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  In the late 1980's I read a study by Pollution Probe of Toronto which
calculated that if all costs incured by cars and their drivers were paid
by a fuel tax, gasoline would cost $5 or $6 Canadian per Imperial gallon.
Today it would be double that price. I recall that medical costs of
accidents and the cost of policing (to prevent even worse carnage on the
roads) were major components of the high cost of driving.

As I recall, these calculations did not include the high costs of urban
infrastructure made necessary by sprawl to accomodate cars.

As James Howard Kunstler has pointed out, the car culture and the
settlement patterns it has produced are so expensive to operate in a time
of high-cost oil in declining supply, that their appalling costs will
force a very painful change to a more rational transportation and
settlement pattern. We wouldn't be in this desperate situation if it
hadn't been for the political pressure of automotive welfare bums and the
corporate interests and the politicians who pander to them.

Making drivers pay their way is the first step to economic rationality and
a future that doesn't involve freezing in the dark. If you don't want Big
Brother to know where you are, take the bus or the train. Air travelers
have been dealing with this for years.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada