Perhaps not over-unit, the pendulum does seem to reduce input energy
by its very nature, and in the case of pumps or any device why not
take mechanical advantage of it?  Lots of watches run indefinitely on
the simple motions of the wearers hand encouraging a pendulum.  I
think there's room for its use elsewhere where it isn't being used.