  From: Zeke Yewdall
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:24 PM
  Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Pendulum

  The actual input to this system is somewhere above 31,413 BTUs  -- not the
8,221BTUs you indicate -- some input being electrical energy, and some being
thermal energy in that 50F entering water.   When defining a thermodynamic
system, it does not matter what form energy crosses the boundry of the system
-- thermal, mecahnical, electrical, it all counts.   Perhaps in the heat pump
industry they refer to this as over-unity, but to a physicist, just hearing
that immediately makes us discount it as nonsense.  I can't speak for everyone
else, but I don't think the arguement here is about whether heat pumps work, or
how they work, but whether the definition over-unity can be applied to them.

PM