Hi Robert and Benita,
Lovely letter.
"I heard his remarks this morning (Thursday) about the "capacity of the
American people to forget," and I'm offended that he would think me
stupid enough to "forget" what happened that day.

I will NEVER forget September 11th!  I was in Washington that day.
I saw what happened to the Pentagon.  Our president has NO RIGHT to
assume I'll forget what happened . . .  "

Have you seen Loose Change 911?  http://www.loosechange911.com/

Everyone should.  Even more reasons to never forget.

Frank

On 1/12/07, robert and benita rabello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This put a wry smile on my face . . .
>
> I composed an e-mail to the White House after listening to Mr. Bush outline
> his tired old strategy for dealing with the tar baby he's created in Iraq.
> It was uniformly critical, as has been every e-mail I've sent to the White
> House since Mr. Bush took office.  (There have been dozens of these.)  I've
> never received a response, until tonight.  Here's what the automailer of the
> White House sent me:
>
> "On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your correspondence.
We
> appreciate hearing your views and welcome your suggestions.
The President is
> committed to continuing our economic progress,
defending our freedom, and
> upholding our Nation's deepest values.

Due to the large volume of e-mail
> received, the White House
cannot respond to every message. Please visit the
> White House
website for the most up-to-date information on
> Presidential
initiatives, current events, and topics of interest to you.
In
> order to better receive comments from the public, a new system
has been
> implemented. In the future please send your comments

Thank you again for taking the time to
> write."

Ha! I wonder if any of them bother taking the time to READ!!! This
> is what I wrote:

"Dear White House Staff:

    Despite the more
> conciliatory tone our president has adopted after
the elections last
> November, I listened to his speech last night with
resignation.  He STILL
> doesn't get it!

    We Americans who have NEVER supported the invasion of
> Iraq will not
support an increase in the number of our troops in that
> country.  Get
us OUT of that quagmire.

    We Americans who are
> Christians and look upon the destruction
wrought by our foreign policy with
> dismay will NEVER support military
solutions to our conflicts.  Mr. Bush
> needs to stop invoking the name
of God for the sake of fomenting warfare.
> Mr. Bush needs to stop
invoking 11 September as some kind of mantra that,
> when uttered,
magically vanquishes all intelligent opposition to his
> policies.  I
heard his remarks this morning (Thursday) about the "capacity
> of the
American people to forget," and I'm offended that he would think
> me
stupid enough to "forget" what happened that day.

    I will NEVER
> forget September 11th!  I was in Washington that day.
I saw what happened
> to the Pentagon.  Our president has NO RIGHT to
assume I'll forget what
> happened . . .

    But our nation's response to that day, under Mr.
> Bush's leadership,
has consisted of one myopic blunder after another.  He
> did not announce
anything new in his speech to us last night.  He's
> proposing more war,
more death / sacrifice (but only for the
> underpriviledged enlisted, not
to his own children), more finger-pointing
> (laying our inability to stop the
insurgency at the feet of the Iraqis,
> themselves), more deficit
spending, more worry about WMD's (Iran) more
> consultations with nations
already generally supportive of an ongoing
> American presence in the Gulf
(the Saudis, Egyptians and Jordanians) ; yet
> he's NOT listening to his own
people (who have had ENOUGH!), the growing
> outcry in the Congress
(even from people in our own party) and he's still
> refusing to talk to our enemies.

    Richard Nixon talked to the Chinese.
>  Ronald Reagan talked to the
Soviets.  Why can't we talk to the Iranians or
> the Syrians?  Perhaps we
don't like what they'll say?  Perhaps we don't
> really WANT to do
anything about the Palestinians, whose democratically
> elected
government we don't like . . .

    Or maybe this apparent
> ineptitude on the part of our administration
is designed to KEEP American
> soldiers in Iraq indefinately, so that we
can justify our large bases there.
>  Perhaps Mr. Bush's saber rattling
with respect to Iran is nothing more than
> another fear tactic to
justify the need for large troop deployments in the
> region.

    The Iranians don't have nuclear weapons, but even if they
> did, so
what?  The Pakistanis have nuclear weapons.  The Indians have
> nuclear
weapons.  The Israelis have nuclear weapons.  Now the North
> Koreans
have them too.  We ALSO have nuclear weapons, and we're the only
> nation
that has ever used them in anger.  Perhaps, if they're
> secretly
developing a bomb program, the Iranians are looking to deter
> OUR
aggression.

    After all, we invaded Iraq on a pretext of WMD's
> there, that, by
the way, STILL haven't surfaced . . .

    I am old enough
> to remember Vietnam.  The parallels between what
our president is proposing
> and the continual escalation of the war in Southeast
Asia 40 years ago are
> compelling.  We kept increasing troop strength
then, too.  We talked out
> training the South Vietnamese army, and the
"Vietnamization" of the
> conflict.  We became involved in Cambodia and
Laos, just as we're becoming
> involved in Somalia again . . .

    The conflict in Kosovo was solved
> with diplomatic effort.  The
terror in Northern Ireland ended with
> handshakes, not hand grenades.
Ghandi did not kick the British out of India
> by fighting them.
Apartheid in South Africa did not end with wiretaps,
> secret prisons,
the suspension of basic human rights and a wall to keep
> foreigners out
of the country.

    Please convey my strongest
> disagreement with our president's plan
for Iraq.  He's lost credibility even
> among people who previously
supported him.  If he REALLY wants to deal with
> the nations of the
Persian Gulf from a position of strength, he needs to
> take bold steps
to free America from its energy gluttony.  That is the root
> of many of
our woes!  If he wants ideas in this regard, I'm more than happy
outline "Made in America" solutions."

I'm sure this e-mail will never
> make the president's desk!
>
> robert luis rabello