David Kramer wrote:

 <snip>

>This week in Federal Way schools, it got a lot more inconvenient to show one
>of the top-grossing documentaries in U.S. history, the global-warming alert
>"An Inconvenient Truth."
>
>After a parent who supports the teaching of creationism and opposes sex
>education complained about the film, the Federal Way School Board on Tuesday
>placed what it labeled a moratorium on showing the film. The movie consists
>largely of a computer presentation by former Vice President Al Gore
>recounting scientists' findings.

    This was big news on the radio up here this weekend.

>"Condoms don't belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He's not a
>schoolteacher," said Frosty Hardison, a parent of seven who also said that
>he believes the Earth is 14,000 years old. "The information that's being
>presented is a very cockeyed view of what the truth is. ... The Bible says
>that in the end times everything will burn up, but that perspective isn't
>in the DVD."

    Sigh . . .

    Jesus, please save me from your followers!!!

>Asked whether an alternative explanation for evolution should be presented
>by teachers, Barney said it would be appropriate to tell students that
>other beliefs exist. "It's only a theory," he said.

    Sometimes it's embarrassing to go to church with people like this!

>"I am shocked that a school district would come to this decision," David said
>in a prepared statement. "There is no opposing view to science, which is fact,
>and the facts are clear that global warming is here, now."
>
>The Federal Way incident started when Hardison learned that his daughter would
>see the movie in class. He objected.
>
>Hardison and his wife, Gayla, said they would prefer that the movie not be
>shown
>at all in schools.

    If Mr. Hardison felt strongly about it, he should have asked that
his OWN daughter be given a different assignment.  Imposing this narrow
view on everyone else's children isn't right.

>"From what I've seen (of the movie) and what my husband has expressed to me,
>if (the movie) is going to take the approach of 'bad America, bad America,'
>I don't think it should be shown at all," Gayle Hardison said. "If you're
>going to come in and just say America is creating the rotten ruin of the
>world, I don't think the video should be shown."

    Spoken by someone who clearly HASN'T seen the film!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"
New Adventure for Your Mind