Hi D and any Amerikan who recognizes they don't have time to waste watching
their brothers and sisters throw up on themselves...I've included below the
portion of the bill passed by both Houses of the US Congress in May, 2005,
known as the "Real ID Act."  It goes into effect in May, 2008.  Read it and
weep or better yet use the Internet for something useful: first, call, write or
email your Senator (if he or she survived the recent elections) and tell the
fool thanks for selling you down the tubes (all Senators voted for this); next,
find out if your House Rep voted for this
(http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll031.xml), then either call, write or email
to congratulate him or her for voting Nay and ask what activity is in the works
to rescind this portion of the bill.  Get an answer...a commitment.  LOL...good
luck.  If your Rep voted for it, chances are he or she got busted in the most
recent elections and you have a newbie to rake over the coals about what he or
she is going to do about having this piece of legislation rescinded.

Something else to do, and perhaps even more importantly, contact your State
Reps to find out what they are doing in your State to reject Real ID.
Posting any other constructive, proactive ideas along these lines would be
greatly appreciated.  Otherwise--Good luck...and good night.
Mike DuPree
PS There's a twist to all this.  See: http://www.unrealid.com/
"The Department of Homeland Security plans to outsource REAL ID implementation
to third-party data aggregators, according to official DHS documents...What
does this all mean? Quite simply, this is the outsourcing of our Constitutional
rights.  It means that all privacy protections on our drivers license data will
be removed once the DMV sends your data to the private corporation.
If it's possible to create a scheme worse than a national ID card, this is it:
a privatized National ID card.  The citizens of every state will not only be at
the mercy of a company like ChoicePoint or Acxiom to 'approve' their identity,
but will have no privacy protections whatsoever on that data.  Your sensitive
drivers license data can be bought and sold along with everything else these
companies sell, such as your credit information.  The federal government can
then gain access to this information without having to comply with any laws,
such as the Privacy Act.

DHS is granting the right to control our identity to private
industry...Congress needs to take immediate action to stop this travesty."

Now, I haven't verified the above.  Maybe this is just some website using
misinformation to sell itself.  However, if you Google "Outsourcing Real ID Act
Implementation," you will find other documentation to this effect.  So while
you're on the phone or writing or emailing your US House Rep (and maybe your
Senator, especially if he or she is a newbie, but even incumbents may have
found a renewed sense of willingness for keeping Big Brother at bay...ok,
you're sorry you said thanks fool but that was just to even the score.  Here's
the Senator's chance for redemption), please inform them how this legislation
may be being outsourced to private industry.  Inform State Reps of same.

After you've taken the time to do the above, then watch the idiot videos and
feel good about the fact you just might be helping save not only a nation of
slobs for another day of slobdom, but especially your own freedom to choose
whether or not (no, when) you want to be a slob too.
H.R.1268
Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on
Terror, and Tsunami Relief, 2005 (Enrolled as Agreed to or Passed by Both House
and Senate)

TITLE II--IMPROVED SECURITY FOR DRIVERS' LICENSES AND PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION
CARDS

SEC. 201. DEFINITIONS.

  In this title, the following definitions apply:

    (1) DRIVER'S LICENSE- The term `driver's license' means a motor vehicle
operator's license, as defined in section 30301 of title 49, United States Code.

    (2) IDENTIFICATION CARD- The term `identification card' means a personal
identification card, as defined in section 1028(d) of title 18, United States
Code, issued by a State.

    (3) OFFICIAL PURPOSE- The term `official purpose' includes but is not
limited to accessing Federal facilities, boarding federally regulated
commercial aircraft, entering nuclear power plants, and any other purposes that
the Secretary shall determine.

    (4) SECRETARY- The term `Secretary' means the Secretary of Homeland
Security.

    (5) STATE- The term `State' means a State of the United States, the
District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa,
the Northern Mariana Islands, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and
any other territory or possession of the United States.

SEC. 202. MINIMUM DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS AND ISSUANCE STANDARDS FOR FEDERAL
RECOGNITION.

  (a) Minimum Standards for Federal Use-

    (1) IN GENERAL- Beginning 3 years after the date of the enactment of this
division, a Federal agency may not accept, for any official purpose, a driver's
license or identification card issued by a State to any person unless the State
is meeting the requirements of this section.

    (2) STATE CERTIFICATIONS- The Secretary shall determine whether a State is
meeting the requirements of this section based on certifications made by the
State to the Secretary. Such certifications shall be made at such times and in
such manner as the Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of
Transportation, may prescribe by regulation.

  (b) Minimum Document Requirements- To meet the requirements of this section,
a State shall include, at a minimum, the following information and features on
each driver's license and identification card issued to a person by the State:

    (1) The person's full legal name.

    (2) The person's date of birth.

    (3) The person's gender.

    (4) The person's driver's license or identification card number.

    (5) A digital photograph of the person.

    (6) The person's address of principle residence.

    (7) The person's signature.

    (8) Physical security features designed to prevent tampering,
counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes.

    (9) A common machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data
elements.

  (c) Minimum Issuance Standards-

    (1) IN GENERAL- To meet the requirements of this section, a State shall
require, at a minimum, presentation and verification of the following
information before issuing a driver's license or identification card to a
person:

      (A) A photo identity document, except that a non-photo identity document
is acceptable if it includes both the person's full legal name and date of
birth.

      (B) Documentation showing the person's date of birth.

      (C) Proof of the person's social security account number or verification
that the person is not eligible for a social security account number.

      (D) Documentation showing the person's name and address of principal
residence.

    (2) SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS-

      (A) IN GENERAL- To meet the requirements of this section, a State shall
comply with the minimum standards of this paragraph.

      (B) EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL STATUS- A State shall require, before issuing a
driver's license or identification card to a person, valid documentary evidence
that the person--

        (i) is a citizen or national of the United States;

        (ii) is an alien lawfully admitted for permanent or temporary residence
in the United States;

        (iii) has conditional permanent resident status in the United States;

        (iv) has an approved application for asylum in the United States or has
entered into the United States in refugee status;

        (v) has a valid, unexpired nonimmigrant visa or nonimmigrant visa
status for entry into the United States;

        (vi) has a pending application for asylum in the United States;

        (vii) has a pending or approved application for temporary protected
status in the United States;

        (viii) has approved deferred action status; or

        (ix) has a pending application for adjustment of status to that of an
alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States or
conditional permanent resident status in the United States.

      (C) TEMPORARY DRIVERS' LICENSES AND IDENTIFICATION CARDS-

        (i) IN GENERAL- If a person presents evidence under any of clauses (v)
through (ix) of subparagraph (B), the State may only issue a temporary driver's
license or temporary identification card to the person.

        (ii) EXPIRATION DATE- A temporary driver's license or temporary
identification card issued pursuant to this subparagraph shall be valid only
during the period of time of the applicant's authorized stay in the United
States or, if there is no definite end to the period of authorized stay, a
period of one year.

        (iii) DISPLAY OF EXPIRATION DATE- A temporary driver's license or
temporary identification card issued pursuant to this subparagraph shall
clearly indicate that it is temporary and shall state the date on which it
expires.

        (iv) RENEWAL- A temporary driver's license or temporary identification
card issued pursuant to this subparagraph may be renewed only upon presentation
of valid documentary evidence that the status by which the applicant qualified
for the temporary driver's license or temporary identification card has been
extended by the Secretary of Homeland Security.

    (3) VERIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS- To meet the requirements of this section, a
State shall implement the following procedures:

      (A) Before issuing a driver's license or identification card to a person,
the State shall verify, with the issuing agency, the issuance, validity, and
completeness of each document required to be presented by the person under
paragraph (1) or (2).

      (B) The State shall not accept any foreign document, other than an
official passport, to satisfy a requirement of paragraph (1) or (2).

      (C) Not later than September 11, 2005, the State shall enter into a
memorandum of understanding with the Secretary of Homeland Security to
routinely utilize the automated system known as Systematic Alien Verification
for Entitlements, as provided for by section 404 of the Illegal Immigration
Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (110 Stat. 3009-664), to verify
the legal presence status of a person, other than a United States citizen,
applying for a driver's license or identification card.

  (d) Other Requirements- To meet the requirements of this section, a State
shall adopt the following practices in the issuance of drivers' licenses and
identification cards:

    (1) Employ technology to capture digital images of identity source
documents so that the images can be retained in electronic storage in a
transferable format.

    (2) Retain paper copies of source documents for a minimum of 7 years or
images of source documents presented for a minimum of 10 years.

    (3) Subject each person applying for a driver's license or identification
card to mandatory facial image capture.

    (4) Establish an effective procedure to confirm or verify a renewing
applicant's information.

    (5) Confirm with the Social Security Administration a social security
account number presented by a person using the full social security account
number. In the event that a social security account number is already
registered to or associated with another person to which any State has issued a
driver's license or identification card, the State shall resolve the
discrepancy and take appropriate action.

    (6) Refuse to issue a driver's license or identification card to a person
holding a driver's license issued by another State without confirmation that
the person is terminating or has terminated the driver's license.

    (7) Ensure the physical security of locations where drivers' licenses and
identification cards are produced and the security of document materials and
papers from which drivers' licenses and identification cards are produced.

    (8) Subject all persons authorized to manufacture or produce drivers'
licenses and identification cards to appropriate security clearance
requirements.

    (9) Establish fraudulent document recognition training programs for
appropriate employees engaged in the issuance of drivers' licenses and
identification cards.

    (10) Limit the period of validity of all driver's licenses and
identification cards that are not temporary to a period that does not exceed 8
years.

    (11) In any case in which the State issues a driver's license or
identification card that does not satisfy the requirements of this section,
ensure that such license or identification card--

      (A) clearly states on its face that it may not be accepted by any Federal
agency for federal identification or any other official purpose; and

      (B) uses a unique design or color indicator to alert Federal agency and
other law enforcement personnel that it may not be accepted for any such
purpose.

    (12) Provide electronic access to all other States to information contained
in the motor vehicle database of the State.

    (13) Maintain a State motor vehicle database that contains, at a minimum--

      (A) all data fields printed on drivers' licenses and identification cards
issued by the State; and

      (B) motor vehicle drivers' histories, including motor vehicle violations,
suspensions, and points on licenses.

SEC. 203. TRAFFICKING IN AUTHENTICATION FEATURES FOR USE IN FALSE
IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS.

  (a) Criminal Penalty- Section 1028(a)(8) of title 18, United States Code, is
amended by striking `false authentication features' and inserting `false or
actual authentication features'.

  (b) Use of False Driver's License at Airports-

    (1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall enter, into the appropriate aviation
security screening database, appropriate information regarding any person
convicted of using a false driver's license at an airport (as such term is
defined in section 40102 of title 49, United States Code).

    (2) FALSE DEFINED- In this subsection, the term `false' has the same
meaning such term has under section 1028(d) of title 18, United States Code.

SEC. 204. GRANTS TO STATES.

  (a) In General- The Secretary may make grants to a State to assist the State
in conforming to the minimum standards set forth in this title.

  (b) Authorization of Appropriations- There are authorized to be appropriated
to the Secretary for each of the fiscal years 2005 through 2009 such sums as
may be necessary to carry out this title.

SEC. 205. AUTHORITY.

  (a) Participation of Secretary of Transportation and States- All authority to
issue regulations, set standards, and issue grants under this title shall be
carried out by the Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of
Transportation and the States.

  (b) Extensions of Deadlines- The Secretary may grant to a State an extension
of time to meet the requirements of section 202(a)(1) if the State provides
adequate justification for noncompliance.

SEC. 206. REPEAL.

  Section 7212 of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004
(Public Law 108-458) is repealed.

SEC. 207. LIMITATION ON STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.

  Nothing in this title shall be construed to affect the authorities or
responsibilities of the Secretary of Transportation or the States under chapter
303 of title 49, United States Code.