  ----- Original Message -----
  From: M&K DuPree
  To: Walt Kihm ; Tom DuPree ; Ted Infranca ; Elayne ; Steve Cringan ; Steve ;
Ryan Zug ; Ray Mendoza ; Priscilla Patrick ; Patricia Canty ; Patricia Canty ;
Mom&Dad ; Mom ; Mike Naegele ; Michael OConnell ; Marla Moore ; Larry
Fitzgerald ; Larry Bethel ; Kim ; Karla ; John Novosel ; John Eye ; John Eye ;
John DuPree ; George A. Roberts ; Gen Hostak ; Deb Taylor-Bauer ; Dave ; Danny
; Dad ; Courtney O'Connell ; Bill Renick ; Aunt Shirley ; Ann O'Connell ; Jenny
; biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:48 PM
  Subject: [Biofuel] Reference to Real ID Act in State of the Union

  I wish Palast would have referenced outright H.R.1268, Title II (the Real ID
Act) in this article, but he makes the point of concern to all US citizens
anyway.  By the way, New Hampshire has rejected this Act
(http://www.newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd177.htm).  What are you doing to get
your State Reps to do same?  To get Federal Reps to rescind? Also, pay
attention to Palast's reference to Choice Point.  This is the outsourcing of
the implementation of Real ID to private industry and the total exposure of our
private information without benefit of the Privacy Act (see www.unrealid.com).
I'm tellin ya...GET INVOLVED or you WILL hate yourself the morning of May 11,
2008.  Mike DuPree

  http://www.truthout.org:80/docs_2006/012407D.shtml

  Off the Rails: Big Oil, Big Brother Win Big in the State of the Union
  by Greg Palast
  Tuesday, 23 January, 2006
  There was that tongue again. When the President lies he's got this weird
nervous tick: He sticks the tip of his tongue out between his lips. Like a
little boy who knows he's fibbing. Like a snake licking a rat.

  In his State of the Union tonight the President did his tongue thing 124
times - my kids kept count.

  But it wasn't all rat-licking lies.

  Most pundits concentrated on Iraq and wacky health insurance stuff. But
that's just bubbles and blather. The real agenda is in the small stuff. The
little razors in the policy apple, the nasty little pieces of policy shrapnel
that whiz by between the appearances of the Presidential tongue.

  First, there was the announcement the regime will, "give employers the tools
to verify the legal status of their workers." In case you missed that one, the
President is talking about creating a federal citizen profile database.

  There's a problem with that idea. It's against the law. The law in question
is the United States Constitution. The Founding Fathers thought the government
had no right to keep track on a citizen unless there is evidence they have
committed, or planned to commit, a crime.

  But the Founding Fathers didn't imagine there were millions and billions of
dollars to be made by private contractors ready to perform this KGB operation
for the Department of Homeland Security, tracking each and every one of us to
keep tabs on our "status."

  These work databases will tie into "voter verification" databases required by
the Help America Vote Act. And these will tie to the databases on citizenship
and so on.

  Will Big Brother abuse these snoop lists? The biggest purveyor of such hit
lists is Choice Point, Inc. - those characters who, before the 2000 election,
helped Jeb Bush purge innocent voters as "felons" from Florida voter rolls.
Will they abuse the new super-lists? Does Dick Cheney shoot in the woods?

  There were several other little IEDs (improvised execrable policy devices)
planted in the State of the Union. Did you catch the one about doubling the
Strategic Petroleum Reserve? If you're unfamiliar with the SPR, it is supposed
to be the stash of oil we keep in case the price of crude gets too high.

  Well, the price of oil has been horribly high but Dick Cheney, the official
who sits on the Reserve's spigots, has refused to release the oil into the
market.

  Instead of unleashing the Reserve and busting Big Oil's price gouging Bush
will double the Reserve, which will require buying three-quarters of a billion
barrels of oil. This is a nice $40 billion pay-out to Big Oil from the US
Treasury. Compare this to the President's health insurance plan which will be
"revenue neutral" - that is, have a net investment of zero.

  But the $40 billion in loot the oilmen will get from us taxpayers for
doubling the Reserve is nothing compared to the boost in the worldwide price of
crude caused by this massive, mad purchase. While the Congressional audience
didn't even bother polite applause for the reserve purchase plan, there's no
doubt they were whooping it up in Saudi Arabia. Clearly, the state of the
Saudi-Bush union is still pretty good.

  But why end on a cynical note? I must admit I was moved by the President's
praise of Wesley Autrey, a New Yorker who, last month, threw himself on top of
a man who had fallen on subway tracks - and held him between the track rails as
the train passed over them.

  While the President properly acknowledged Autrey's courage in saving the man
who fell on the subway tracks, Mr. Bush still did not explain why Dick Cheney
pushed the man in the first place.

  Greg Palast is the author of the New York Times bestseller: Armed Madhouse:
Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Class War. To subscribe to Palast's
investigative reports, go to www.GregPalast.com