I believe this is how the Rheem company gets super high efficiency in their gas furnace by using longitudinal pressure waves to increase heat transfer efficiency to the heat exchanger.

Joe

Zeke Yewdall wrote:

Do a search on "thermoacoustic". This isn't all that mysterious, and if you want to get in to computational fluid dynamics computations, it can all be explained according to the laws of physics. It's essentially the same as a heat pump, only instead of a mechanical compressor to create pressure differences, the standing sound waves set up in the device create areas of higher and lower pressure in the gas, and transfer heat. I can also be harnessed in the reverse, using heat to create sound waves, which then operate a linear generator to generate electricity. I believe it actually operates on the stirling cycle, but without the very hard to machine pistons/cylinders/seals required by a mechanical stirling engine. Yes, right now the efficiency isn't very good now, but the lack of moving parts is appealing. Lots of interesting reading on the web.