Hi Dawie

Keith - I'm afraid I wasn't paying attention when I first encountered the allegation about catalytic converters, General Motors, Johnson-Matthey, and some then not very valuable shares in platinum mines. I think it was in the late lamented motorcycle magazine AWoL. I was half hoping you could supply some detail ...

The list archives might be able to, if not directly then you could pick up some leads to follow further.

I've long understood the inappropriateness of using the term "free market" to describe corporate capitalism.

But it's been so successful, journalists spout it with the jerk of a knee, Joe Bloggs has a high opinion of it. You'd think it means "free of fascism" rather than free of regulation. The advantage is that it gives us a "level playing field" which the big guys get to tip their way without the machine yelling "Tilt".

>From a previous message:

> Whatever could be wrong with "free trade"? Sounds so equitable and democratic. But the winds of free trade favour the ships with the biggest sails, and sink the rest. The "magic of the marketplace" and the "Invisible Hand" don't bring the greatest benefit to the greatest number - on the contrary, in an unregulated marketplace, goods will inevitably be driven towards those with excess funds (the wealthy) and away from those with no means (the poor and needy). As we can see, worldwide.

The other side of the same coin: