If he used the power in his business ok but
  natural gas lanterns in his yard
  Those are decorative - if you want light you dont burn a torch.
  So if he wont curb personal indulgance he doesnt believe what he espouses for
the rest of us..
  Forget weak flesh - how about belief.
  He doesnt believe what he tells us.
  That is a liar not a hypocrite.
  Are we destroying the world or not? for ambiance at his parties?

  Kirk

Chip Mefford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Fred Oliff wrote:
> actually to me both are important. I think one of the worst things one can be
> called is a hypocrite.

Then you might want to do a bit of reading.

The knee jerk reaction is to recommend Jeremy Lott's
"In Defense of Hypocrisy" but that's a cheap shot.

There's a paper out there, that I of course can't
find,(I'll dig for it if you are interested), that
some say inspired Neal Stephenson to write this
passage given by one of his more interesting fictional characters
(as if he had any other kind) which goes:

------this is copyrighted work, quoted here in context and under
fair use

“You know, when I was a young man, hypocrisy was deemed the worst of
vices,” Finkle-McGraw said. “It was all because of moral relativism. You
see, in that sort of a climate, you are not allowed to criticise
others—after all, if there is no absolute right and wrong, then what
grounds is there for criticism?”

…

“Now, this led to a good deal of general frustration, for people are
naturally censorious and love nothing better than to criticise others’
shortcomings. And so it was that they seized on hypocrisy and elevated
it from a ubiquitous peccadillo into the monarch of all vices. For, you
see, even if there is no right and wrong, you can find grounds to
criticise another person by contrasting what he has espoused with what
he has actually done. In this case, you are not making any judgment
whatsoever as to the correctness of his views or the morality of his
behaviour—you are merely pointing out that he has said one thing and
done another. Virtually all political discourse in the days of my youth
was devoted to the ferreting out of hypocrisy.

…

“We take a somewhat different view of hypocrisy,” Finkle-McGraw
continued. “In the late-twentieth-century Weltanschauung, a hypocrite
was someone who espoused high moral views as part of a planned campaign
of deception—he never held these beliefs sincerely and routinely
violated them in privacy. Of course, most hypocrites are not like that.
Most of the time it’s a spirit-is-willing, flesh-is-weak sort of thing.”

-----end quote---------
Neal Stephenson, the Diamond Age.