-------- Original Message --------

First biodiesel plant will be in foothills; Federal Ag Minister Chuck
Strahl announces new biofuel funding program
Okotoks Western Wheel
Wed 25 Apr 2007
Page: 1 / FRONT
Section: News
Byline: John Barlow
Source: Okotoks Western Wheel
Edition: Final
Story Type: Business
Length: 359 words
Illustration: Photo: Dean Cockshutt, president of Western Biodiesel Inc.
speaks at a press conference Monday. ; Colour Photo: John Barlow,
Okotoks Western Wheel /
Federal Agriculture Minister Chuck Strahl announced the ecoAgriculture
Biofuels Capital initiative at a press conference at the site of the new
Western Biodiesel Inc.
facility near High River on Monday morning. ;
Alberta's first biofuels production facility will be in
the foothills and it is expected to be operational by
the end of 2007.
On Monday morning federal Agriculture Minister
Chuck Strahl announced the launch of the
ecoAgriculture Biofuels Capital initiative (ecoABC)
at the site of the new biofuels facility that is under
construction in the Abild's Industrial Park on
Highway 2A just north of High River.
Also on hand at Monday's announcement were
representatives from Western Biodiesel Inc, (WBI)
the developers of the new biodiesel facility.
"We are hoping to lead the industry," said Dean
Cockshutt, president and CEO of Western Biodiesel
Inc. "This has been fantastic. It has taken two years to
get here. We have done this with our own resources
and our own commitment. That is why we are
determined to make this a success."
Strahl said he was also confident the biofuel facility
near High River will be a success.
"The potential for this facility it a great one," said
Strahl. "Biofuels are a win for the producers, a win
for the environment, a win for rural communities and
a win for Canadians."
Strahl said the ecoABC program is proof the
Canadian government is committed to improving the
environment and helping stimulate the agriculture
industry and rural communities.
The ecoABC program is a $200 million initiative that
will increase renewable fuel capacity by helping
agriculture producers construct or expand
transportation biofuel production facilities.
The federal government has committed to ensuring
all gasoline contain an average of five per cent
renewable fuel content by 2010 and diesel and
heating oil contain an average of two per cent by
2012.
"The ecoAgriculture Biofuels Capital initiative is a
significant boost for farmer participation in biofuels
production," said Strahl. "This is the first program to
give farmers capital assistance to construct or expand
biofuels facilities. With this initiative, we expect a
potential increase in renewable fuel capacity of 1
billion litres."
Strahl said investing in science and innovation will
be key to expanding the biofuel industry.
"We want this business to thrive," he said. "We want
to do what we can to ensure this opportunity does not
pass us by."

--
Darryl McMahon
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?

The Emperor's New Hydrogen Economy (now in print and eBook)
http://www.econogics.com/TENHE/