Hey Pagandai;

Do you know about the International Permaculture Conference (IPC8) which is happening in Sao Paulo on May 4th? Bill Mollison the inventer of permaculture will give a course on design and many other leading speakers of the world will present. I wish I could attend.

http://www.ipc8.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Cheers
Joe

Pagandai Pannirselvam wrote:

 Hi ,
Keith

   Thank you bringing here the very important report

 Residual biomass = Food+Fiber+Feed+Fertilizer+Fuel

Brazilian sugarcane distillery is also exploring very well the use of a byproduct effluent of ethanol fermentation as an organic additive to soils. This is also an example of the innovations very well to support residue removal , integrated very well with the feed , not yet for fiber, where as the solid residues India are used for paper production.More recycling of the solid residues incorporated with the effluent in Brazilian sugar cane field is more sustainable compared to India, where 10 times more chemical fertilizers , and also very significant amount of the toxic chemicals , well promoted by the very big blue companies, are used and thus less sustainable, thus raw very less green technology.The inoculated microbes as bio fertilizer also the other approach well applied in Brazil, thus making very sucess for the sustainable Brazilian biofuel project.

Thus , the natural farming is no more out dated , yet the best way .This method need more recycle of solid residues for the soil , thus the system can be more productive and also more sustainable.Thus the recycle can be more easy as fertilizer rather than the fuel production .

 sd
Pannir, Brasil

2007/4/25, Keith Addison < [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>:

    >From: ARS News Service < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
    >Subject: Producing Ethanol--and Conserving the Soil
    >Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:01:25 -0400
    >
    >STORY LEAD:
    >In Producing Ethanol, Some Cornstalks Should be Left in the Field
    >
    >ARS News Service
    >Agricultural Research Service, USDA
    >Don Comis, (301) 504-1625, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    >April 25, 2007
    >--View this report online, plus photos and related stories, at
    >www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr <http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr>
    >
    >If conservation of soil organic matter is taken into account, the
    >United States at best has to cut in half the amount of cornstalks
    >that can be harvested to produce ethanol, according to an
    >Agricultural Research Service (ARS) study.
    >
    >Jane Johnson, a soil scientist with the ARS North Central Soil
    >Conservation Research Laboratory in Morris, Minn., found that twice
    >as many cornstalks have to be left in the field to maintain soil
    >organic matter levels, compared to the amount of stalks needed only
    >to prevent erosion.
    >
    >This doesn't mean harvesting cornstalks for cellulosic ethanol isn't
    >feasible--just that when you add soil organic matter concerns to
    >erosion concerns, it slashes the amount of cornstalks available for
    >conversion to ethanol. For example, 213-bushel-per-acre corn yields
    >leave farmers an average four tons per acre of cornstalks after
    >harvest. Farmers could then harvest about two tons of cornstalks per
    >acre for conversion to ethanol--but only from land with low erosion
    >risks, using little or no tillage.
    >
    >If the same farmers rotate with soybeans as recommended, they can
    >only remove half again as much biomass for ethanol production, or
    >just one ton per acre, to compensate for the lower biomass left by
    >soybeans.
    >
    >Johnson's estimates are part of the Renewable Energy Assessment
    >Project (REAP), formally created in 2006, although she and a core
    >group of colleagues have worked on these measurements for several
    >years prior.
    >
    >REAP was formed to ensure that cellulosic ethanol programs will be
    >sustainable. Most participants work with corn, but others work on
    >switchgrass for cellulosic ethanol. When cellulosic ethanol is made
    >from corn, it uses cornstalks as well as grain.
    >
    >There are nine ARS locations participating in REAP in eight states,
    >from Alabama to Indiana to Oregon.
    >
    >The new program also aims to compare the economic value of biomass
    >for bioenergy versus its value for storing soil carbon. REAP will
    >provide guidelines on harvesting biomass to corn farmers, land
    >managers, the biomass industry and action agencies.
    >
    >Johnson also explored the use of a byproduct of ethanol fermentation
    >as an organic additive to soils. This is an example of the
    >innovations needed to support residue removal.
    >
    >ARS is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's chief in-house
    >scientific research agency.
    >
    >This is one of the news reports that ARS Information distributes to
    >subscribers on weekdays. Send feedback and questions to the ARS News
    >Service at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

    >* You are subscribed to "ARS News" as [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
    >* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at
    >[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> .
    >* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
    www.ars.usda.gov/news <http://www.ars.usda.gov/news>
    >Phone (301) 504-1638 | fax (301) 504-1486

    messages):

Grupo de Pesquisa em Engenharia de Custos e Processos
DEQ – Departamento de Engenharia Química
CT – Centro de Tecnologia / UFRN, Lagoa Nova – Natal/RN
Campus Universitário. CEP: 59.072-970
http://pannirbr.googlepages.com/gpecufrnhomepage

3215-3769   ramal 210
casa 3215-1557