It seems that hydroponics stores carry very pure isopropyl alcohol as well.
I seem to remember a price of about $40 for one US gallon for the
99.5%stuff, which is similar to the price you found though.

On 5/14/07, Thomas Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andrew,

> Now all of this rests upon me getting my alcohols right, so search, at
> the top of the page, for "isopropyl" at this site, www.rsaustralia.com.
> This gives a range of container sizes. There is also an MSDS at:
>
> http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0065/0900766b80065e94.pdf
>
> Have I found the right stuff? Assuming I've got the right stuff, it's a
> lot easier to get 99.7% IPA from an electronics place than a chemical
> supply place. Electronics places are probably a lot more common as well.

     Isopropanol is what you want for titrating WVO; Isopropanol =
Isopropyl
Alcohol.
     Although 99.7% is very good purity, $16.90 (AUD?) for 500 ml quoted
at
www.rsaustralia.com  is a bit expensive.  If you have had success with
small
test batches using virgin oil and are ready to move on to WVO (and
titration) it is probably worth it to get the best quality isopropanol you
can find and afford. While you are using the expensive Isopropanol keep a
heads up for a cheaper source.
     As I said, I use a gas line antifreeze called "Iso-Heet". It is
available at auto supply stores here in the US for about $2 (USD) for
335ml.
Other gas antifreeze/de-watering products may also be isopropanol.

                                         Best of Luck to You,
                                                        Tom

> messages):

messages):