A bit of overkill indeed, but it did get me thinking if the principle may be
used more simply, e.g. with ducting instead of a complete annular space? Also,
it would be better if solar penetration were not required at the bottom of the
house, especially in winter when the angle of attack is low and the lower
floors are likely to be shaded by other buildings. This makes it unsuitable for
urban environments, which ought to encourage walking and discourage driving and
therefore need to minimize travel distances and maintain pedestrian
stimulation. I wonder if one can make it work using roof exposure only.

It also got me to thinking about another approach which dispenses with
convection but uses the greenhouse principle, and was not uncommon during the
Middle Ages. In another sense it has come to be known as "micro-architecture",
the term being used for anything from choirs and screens and reliquaries in
cathedrals in the form of miniature buildings, to the medieval cupboard-bed.
The idea in the present sense is that of a room within a room: a piece of
furniture that is well sunned through the windows during a winter day, which is
snug and enclosable, well insulated with rugs, and small enough to capitalize
on body heat, so that it remains warm while the annular space cools down
towards morning. In summer the rugs may be removed and the sides opened and the
cupboard-bedroom becomes part of the now-well-ventilated outer room.

It does rather appropriately add another meaning to the word "solar" in the
sense of a medieval upper chamber where one might expect to find a
cupboard-bed, even though the term is derived from the Old French for "floor",
"beam", "floor joist", and hence "upstairs".

-Dawie