Hello Sven

>With a lot of frustration I just read an article about using
>biodiesel in marine engines. They (the engine manufacturers)

Was that engine manufacturers in general, or did it name them?

>claim that the diesel will get "old" an clogg the pipes and the
>tank, like it would get sour - like milk!

I don't want to take sides in this. It's always useful to check for a
money trail, especially when it has anything to do with Big Business
and the environment, but you can't just assume there always is one.

Sure Detroit or whatever is kind of hard to distinguish from Big Oil
or whatever, it's the same money that's in all their pockets, but
that doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that marine diesel
makers are discriminating against biodiesel to defend the petroleum
interests.

If they're talking about soy biodiesel they could be right. Soy is a
semi-drying oil with an IV of 130 (EN 14214 specifies <120), it
oxidises easily, forms corrosive peroxides, and polymerises. Even the
US NBB specifies a best-before date of six months IIRC, for B20, let
alone B100.

For another example, Mike Briggs of the University of New Hampshire
Biodiesel group (the guy who wants to raise algae on 10,000 sq miles
of Arizona desert so you can go on guzzling forever) said this about
biodiesel: "The biggest issue comes down to three things - quality,
quality, and quality. And usually, the quality issue comes down to
the storage issue." -- Mike Briggs, BioDieselNow Forums, 10/21/2004,
re "Concern over Bio polymerization". An American discussion, with
all concerned in denial about soy and polymerisation, eg Kumar
Plocher of biodiesel distributor Yokaya Biofuels agreed with Briggs,
said polymerisation is a "non-issue" and it had been dismissed at the
NBB conference as of little concern.

Not a lot of these people can make fuel that passes the wash test,
they mostly use Appleseed reactors that won't do the job along with
super-gentle washing methods to avoid emulsions - and they say
quality is all about storage. Meanwhile both bubble washing and mist
washing help to oxygenate the fuel well beyond the EU 14214 Oxidation
stability limit.

That's not just with soy oil, sunflower oil is also a semi-drying
oil, and bubble-washing and other poor techniques can help to oxidise
medium-IV oils like rapeseed (canola) oil too.

For whether polymerisation is a non-issue or not, see "Oxidation and
polymerisation":
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash.html#oxid

Anti-oxidant additives for biodiesel sell well in Europe, but AFAIK
not in the US, which has a much greater need of them.

>And on top of that the common lie about biodiesel (and ethanol)
>being very bad for rubber items and the oil.
>
>What is this? Why are the manufacturers so afraid of biodiesel that
>the keep on going telling true lies?

Not as strange as some of the things people get told about biodiesel
by the mechanics who fix their cars, for instance, judging from some
of the enquiries we get. A lot of it is just the usual sort of
prejudice against anything new. And why take a chance if you don't
have to? And indeed you don't have to, though demand will change that
eventually.

In the US, GM for one also raised objections to biodiesel, and stated
clearly it was because of the oxidation problem, which is especially
a problem with soy. Last I saw GM were considering approval of B5. I
don't think they were acting out of any concern for the profit
margins of ExxonMobil.

The Fuel Injection Equipment Manufacturers (FIEM - Delphi, Stanadyne,
Denso, Bosch) do support biodiesel, but they're concerned about the
quality, and they say why, specifying fuel problems and the damage
each one can cause. See:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_FIEM.html
FIEM report

Why not read the whole section on fuel quality?
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#qual1
Biodiesel quality

In a word, there's a lot of bad fuel about. Biodiesel? Which
particular biodiesel is that exactly? How was it made? If I was an
engine manufacturer I'd want to know that before I endorsed anything.
With commercial brews I'd insist on the EU standard, and I'd want
more than a rubber stamp from the usual laboratory. With homebrew
you're probably better off as far as quality's concerned, but you're
on your own.

Best

Keith