Yes well...

Environmental Defense:

http://www.nonprofitwatch.org/edf/
Crony Environmentalism: Do conflicts of interest taint EDF's Advocacy
on climate change?

http://www.gregpalast.com/fill-your-lungs-its-only-borrowed-grime/
Fill your lungs it's only borrowed grime
January 23, 1999
LONDON OBSERVER
Gregory Palast

Natural Resources Defense Council:

http://www.nonprofitwatch.org/nrdc/
Environmentalism on the Take: Integrity of Natural Resources Defense
Council (NRDC) Challenged on Development of the Ballona Wetlands of
Los Angeles --NRDC Trustees and Funders Linked to Wetland Developers

And so on:

> [...]
>well. He's made a lucrative career out of helping polluting
>companies defeat environmental regulations while simultaneously
>giving the companies a "green" public image. In the industry, they
>call him the "Dean of Green." As a longtime opponent of the
>environmental movement, Harrison has developed some interesting
>insights into its failures. He says, "The environmental movement is
>dead. It really died in the last fifteen years, from success." I
>think he's correct. What he means is that, in the eighties and
>nineties, environmentalism became a big business, and organizations
>like the Audubon Society, the Wilderness Society, the National
>Wildlife Federation, the Environmental Defense Fund, and the Natural
>Resources Defense Council became competing multi-million-dollar
>bureaucracies. These organizations, Harrison says, seem much more
>interested in "the business of greening" than in fighting for
>fundamental social change. He points out, for instance, that the
>Environmental Defense Fund (whose executive director makes a quarter
>of a million dollars a year) sat down and cut a deal with McDonald's
>that was probably worth hundreds of millions of dollars in publicity
>to the fast-food giant, because it helped to "greenwash" its public
>image.
>
>Jensen: How so?
>
>Stauber: After years of being hammered by grass-roots
>environmentalists for everything from deforestation to inhumane
>farming practices to contributing to a throwaway culture, McDonald's
>finally relented on something: it did away with its styrofoam
>clamshell hamburger containers. But before the company did this, it
>entered into a partnership with the Environmental Defense Fund and
>gave that group credit for the change. Both sides "won" in the
>ensuing PR lovefest. McDonald's took one little step in response to
>grass-roots activists, and the Environmental Defense Fund claimed a
>major victory.
>
>Another problem is that big green groups have virtually no
>accountability to the many thousands of individuals who provide them
>with money. Meanwhile, the grass-roots environmental groups are
>starved of the hundreds of millions of dollars that are raised every
>year by these massive bureaucracies. Over the past two decades,
>they've turned the environmental movement's grass-roots base of
>support into little more than a list of donors they hustle for money
>via direct-mail appeals and telemarketing.
>
>It's getting even worse, because now corporations are directly
>funding groups like the Audubon Society, the Wilderness Society, and
>the National Wildlife Federation. Corporate executives now sit on
>the boards of some of these groups. PR executive Leslie Dach, for
>instance, of the rabidly anti-environmental Edelman PR firm, is on
>the Audubon Society's board of directors. Meanwhile, his PR firm has
>helped lead the "wise use" assault on environmental regulation.

-- War On Truth -- The Secret Battle for the American Mind, An
Interview with John Stauber, published in "The Sun", March 1999.
http://www.whale.to/m/stauber.html

The greening of the environmental movement
1999 figures, in millions of dollars, for 20 environmental groups
with largest contributions
http://dwb.sacbee.com/static/archive/news/projects/environment/graphics/greening.pdf

Environment, Inc. The Sacramento Bee's Expose: Environmental
Organizations Are Now Big-Business
http://www.pushback.com/environment/SacBeeExpose.html

:-(

Best