Of course the ideal is to be able to get to all those mom and pop outfits by
foot, which just happens to describe the conditions most conducive to the
economic viability of mom and pop outfits.     -D

----- Original Message ----
From: Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Tuesday, 26 June, 2007 5:52:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Crosspost: ¡GREEN¢ WALMART: AN OXYMORON?

Indeed, someone explained to me years ago that one of Home Depot's business
strategies is to go into an urban area and open up several stores at strategic
locations and then leverage their massive buying power and financial reserves
to undercut the market.  They only have to do this for a while until they
destroy the local small businesses which works because they offer so much and
they keep prices low and then when the competition is gone they close up
several of the locations forcing people to drive further.  On the other hand I
wonder where the tradeoff point really is when you consider the fuel you burn
driving around to several mom and pop outfits in a day to get all the stuff you
could get in one stop at the super store.  I haven't done the homework on this
obviously but it is food for thought.  Don't get me wrong, I am still in favour
of local small business but the issue is definitely not clear cut and dried.

Joe

Dawie Coetzee posted:

NEAL PEIRCE COLUMN
For Release Sunday, June 24, 2007

© 2007 Washington Post Writers Group

‘GREEN’ WALMART: AN OXYMORON?

By Neal Peirce

WalMart has been harvesting kudos for its dramatic “green” promises. Even

snip