Cadmium telluride is toxic, then again so are thousands of other manufacturing
processes
and materials. No alt energy source will ever be 100 percent environmentally
benign but compared to fossil fuels they are ALL a step forward regardless.
Your computer has cadmium telluride in it as well as hundreds of other semi and
very toxic materials when raw or not encapsulated as components. E-waste is a
serious environmental problem and we don't want to be throwing used cad/tel
panels in the dump 30 years from now either but this looks like a significant
development on the verge of mass production. Add this to the several other
solar pv technologies being developed and it looks good to have truly cost
effective pv within a few years. (I know, we've been waiting for 30 years but
always an optimist...just a LLiiittle longer! ;)

regards
tallex