I agree with Thomas and Alan.   Whatever else Sandia is into (and they
are a national laboratory so they have done a lot of defense work) the
investigations of alternative energy have been worth while.  The solar
power  device based on a sterling engine is proving to be more efficient
than solar cells and this new approach to converting CO2 to liquid fuel
is worth a look.  It's a new area so the first steps will no doubt
contain mistakes but this is a good use of tax money.  Once a technology
is brought to the point that it can make a profit the private sector can
adopt it.  For basic research that either will not pay off for a long
time or is high risk government support is appropriate.  I believe it
was in the Raygun years that the pressure was put on the government to
fund development for industry by pressure groups at the expense of basic
research.  This distortion in the roll of government and government
supported university research has led to less fundamental research being
done and to our living on the accumulated intellectual capitol which at
some point will run out.  At that point either the basic research
capability will have to br rebuilt at considerable added expense or
other countries will pass us by scientifically.  So I am all for Sandia
and the other national Labs that are doing more basic research and
leaving the applied for industry.

The advantage of converting CO2 to liquid fuel using solar power is that
it stores the power for when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't
blow and can power vehicles.

Rick