For the example, an EROI of 0.88, you get 0.88 gallons of stuff (or BTU's or
whatever) for each 1 gallon consumed... still worth it, since you stared
with 1 gallon of sticky black crude oil, stuck way down in the ground... and
ended up with 0.88 gallons of gasoline or such... so even though you end up
with less than you started with, you got a more useful product.  By
definition, any product that uses petroleum as the feedstock, will have a
EROI less than 1.  It's not till it gets lower than zero that it's not worth
it to do it...  Of course, an EROI higher than 1 is even better -- because
you aren't just converting crude to something else with some loss...but
actually gaining energy (from solar photosynthetic input, for example).  At
least, that's how I think about it to make those numbers make sense.