Chris,
     Good to hear from you.

I asked why the treated WVO didn't titrate lower.
Chris:
> There just might not be enough NaOH in the glycerine cocktail to
> neutralize all ffa's. Longer treatment will make no difference if this is
> the >case.

     I was curious because the WVO still has FFAs (titrated 1.8) and the
glycerine mix still is caustic (pH ~ 8).

    (I'm going to switch the order of  my ques/your answers, in order to ask
a question)

Tom:
>>    - I didn't notice tallow in the WVO I loaded into the processor, but
>> it was clearly evident in the settled mix after treatment; same temp as
>> the original WVO was. Any explanation? (Could be I just didn't see it)
Chris:
> We've also observed this. I believe that it is not tallow but soap formed
> during treatment. The soap is translucent gelly. The glycerine settles out
> at the bottom from the soap.

Wouldn't this glycerine-insoluble soap also be a water-insoluble soap?

Tom:     re: adding acid to increase solubity of soap.
>> Does decreasing pH increase the solubility of otherwise water insoluble
>> soaps?
Chris:
> If a substance is insoluble in polar water it will be more insoluble in
> more
> polar acid solution unless solubility constants (Ksp) are involved but I
> think this is not the case here.

Is it possible that a substance (soap) is soluble in glycerine when the pH
is 9, but less soluble when the pH is 7 or 8? i.e. "it will be more
insoluble in more polar acid solution"
Such a substance would separate (----> gel layer?) from the "treated"
glycerine, but not be observed in the raw glyc cocktail.

My thinking:  Maybe the water-insoluble soap is not made more soluble by the
change in pH, but less soluble. It is then separated out during settling
-----> "treated" glycerine mix that will not clog my sprayer and, fingers
crossed, compost as well as the glycerine that I acid-split from the mix
once upon a time.
     This might explain the increased foaming of the "treated" glycerine vs
untreated when shaken in water. It doesn't explain why untreated glycerine
foams better when a small amount of acid is added to it.  (???)

     Let me ask one more thing:
When you say:
> If a substance is insoluble in polar water it will be more insoluble in
> more
> polar acid solution ......

     What if it is not a more polar acid solution that is produced. What if
the solution is alkaline to start (first wash or the raw glyc mix), and the
acid simply decreases alkalinity.
     Would a decrease in alkalinity, towards neutral make the solution less
polar and thereby effect solubility?

     I should have paid more attention in chemistry class,

                                                             Tom