http://resurgence.gn.apc.org/issues/gandhi214.htm
Resurgence issue 214 - by Ela Gandhi
South Africa

GANDHI AND DEVELOPMENT

Ela Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi in South Africa, 1895 photo: Vithalbhai Jhaveri/Gandhiserve

The Mahatma is more relevant in South Africa today than ever before.

from Resurgence issue 214

GANDHI'S TWENTY-ONE years of experience in South Africa transformed
his views on life and human existence. He started to look at the
world from a poverty-trapped peasant's perspective, rather than from
a middle-class bourgeois perspective. Stories of atrocities committed
against exploited workers by their masters shaped his thinking and
brought him closer to the Earth. He said, in interpreting Ruskin's
book Unto This Last:

1.      The good of the individual is contained in the good of all.

2.      A lawyer's work has the same value as the barber's, as all
have the same right of earning their livelihood from their work.

3.      A life of labour, i.e. the life of the tiller of the soil and
the craftsperson, is a life worth living.

The profoundness of these three simple statements provided the
essential philosophic underpinning of his movement in South Africa,
and led to the creation of three principles, Sarvodaya, Swadeshi and
Satyagraha, which have such importance for sustainable development in
South Africa today.

Sarvodaya (upliftment of all) was a philosophical position that
Gandhiji maintained. He believed that morality must underpin all
human actions. Society must strive for the economic, social,
spiritual and physical well-being of all, not just the majority. He
favoured a holistic approach to well-being, and a total approach to
the community. For him the well-being of every individual was an
important concern.

He advocated that the locus of power must be situated in the village
or neighbourhood unit. He believed that there should be equitable
distribution of resources and that communities must become
self-sustaining through reliance on local products instead of
large-scale imports from outside. In this way each individual would
be able to utilise his or her particular skills and be able to market
his or her goods in the neighbourhood. People would then make goods
for local consumption and become interdependent within each locality.

Gandhi was opposed to large-scale industrialisation, and favoured
small local industries instead. In this way there would be a
certainty that each individual would be gainfully employed and able
to live a self-sufficient fulfilled life. This local self-sufficiency
he called Swadeshi. It means buy local, be proud of local, support
local, uphold and live local. It was based on the theory of
decentralised local interdependence and universal employment. When we
buy or sell something outside our area then we are depriving a local
person of his or her livelihood.

The question many in South Africa ask is, do we remain
under-developed? When one looks at the pollution and the
environmental degradation, the climatic changes and the possible
effects of these on the survival of life, caused by large scale
industrialisation and so-called development, it becomes clear that
one needs to call for a suspension of industrialisation. One needs to
review carefully what is to the advantage of all people and the
environment and what is not. We are on a collision course, and if we
do not heed the warning signs, it will be at our own peril.

Finally, Gandhi's best-known theory of Satyagraha or non-violent
direct action is in fact a way of life, not just an absence of
violence. He believed that to carry out non-violent action one needed
to be disciplined. His discipline entailed the important element of
self-restraint in respect of all the sensory urges and consumptions.
It also entailed respect for all beings regardless of religious
beliefs, caste, race or creed, and a devotion to the values of truth,
love and responsibility.

TODAY WE FACE the spectres of global warming, lack of water through
deforestation, and continued depletion of natural resources and
diversity on Earth. The unnatural cloning of animal life, the
unbridled consumption on the part of some and the total deprivation
of others, are some of the results of 'development' and economic
growth. Should South Africa follow the path of unsustainable growth
or the path of Gandhi and the principles of Sarvodaya, Swadeshi and
Satyagraha? This is the challenge we face.

The Gandhian way is gaining ever more support as people find it gives
guidance in both how to resist destructive processes and how to build
constructive ones from a position of inner moral strength.

Next year will be the centenary of Gandhiji's work in South Africa,
when he set up his first newspaper, which he used as a tool for
mobilisation, and 2004 will be the centenary of his first communal
agrarian ashram creating his first community at Phoenix. The
celebrations will help to inspire more people to embody the Gandhian
way to help humanity create a just and healthy future for the next
generations. o

Ela Gandhi, granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi, is a political activist.
She can be contacted at [EMAIL PROTECTED]