Brian Schneider wrote:
> Hello,
> Just a comment, why don't we in the US do something else that was
> done in the 70's oil crisis...drop the speed limit back to 55.

There were a *lot* of problems with this. I'm not going to
go into it all, in fact, I'm barely going to scratch the
surface. But essentially, the nationwide 55mph speed limit
was about as popular as prohibition, and caused many of
the same problems.

In interest of full disclosure,
when ever I hear 'There ought to be a law",
I duck.

We have plenty of laws. a few orders of magnitude
too many I'd say. In fact, I'd point to the
current state of affairs as my primary exhibit
in the 'laws don't fix anything' presentation.