-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
robert and benita
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 11:54 AM
To: sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Vaporized gasoline engineswork
asproventotheworldbyShell Oil Company in 1973

Mike Pelly wrote:

>You don't think cats are hot? Put your finger on one sometime and than
>let me know what you think. They have shields all over them for a good
reason.

    They HAVE to be hot in order to work.

>They are very efficient at re-burning the hydrocarbon rich exhaust but
>why are we not working to improve vehicle fuel effeciency by burning
>this fuel properly the first time?

    Sigh . . .

    Carbon RICH exhaust?  Hardly!  We measure pollutants in parts per
million or grams per kilometer, even before the catalytic convertor.
There is very little unburned fuel leaving the combustion chamber.

    Why do we have to run engines a little bit rich?  Under cruise
conditions, most engines are set up to run lean.  At idle, however, in order
to improve quality they tend to run a few tenths or so below stoichometric.
(This has greatly improved with the introduction of sequential injection.)
Acceleration requires more power, and maximum power is made at around a
12.5:1 air / fuel ratio for gasoline.
Acceleration enrichment pumps more fuel into the manifold, a small amount of
which condenses on the (relatively) cool surface of the intake manifold.
(This is all related to temperature and pressure.)  After the acceleration
event is over, that engine management system returns everything to a lean
condition for cruise, and that wee bit of extra fuel eventually winds up
getting burned.  The computer is measuring the ratio of oxygen in the
exhaust as a means of optimizing the air / fuel ratio and adjusting the
intake pulse as required, but at low pulse ratios it's far harder to be
completely precise because there are limitations to how narrow the injector
pulse can be at a given rpm.

Robert, till you are ready to step away from your ingrained thinking about
injecting gasoline into an engine as a 'liquid' and start looking at
introducing gasoline into the engine in a 'gaseous state' you'll continue to
miss the point of this art. Yes you can throw your terms like 12.5/1
stoichometric and anything else you have related to liquid fuel injection
and carburetion out as much as you want but your just confusing yourself.
Gasoline vapor like propane vapor (and I cringe using this analogy because
it is not 100% identical) have no problem mixing with the air and vaporized
gasoline is far more flammable than liquid gasoline. Maybe the analogy of a
car crash and gasoline tank explosion being much worse in a car with an
empty tank of gasoline compared to one with a full tank, might help to
illustrate this point. Vaporized gasoline is as different an art from
gasoline fuel injection and carburetion as is diesel injection and spark
ignited gas ignition. It's like comparing apples and fudge brownies.  Mike

    What this means, in practical terms, is that in order to have a car that
can accelerate and deal with traffic, it HAS to have acceleration
enrichment.  In addition, during warm-up it's necessary to inject extra fuel
just to get the machine running!  The variable nature of driving ensures
that compromises between power and economy have to be made, and the
catalytic covertor helps to even out those differences.

    But here, we're talking VERY small amounts of fuel--not enough to change
economy by a factor of ten.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"