I am amazed it has lasted as long as it has. How many of us would be in crises
after a year of unemployment? The US, due to "free trade" has moved its
manufacturing elsewhere - lock stock and barrel. Manufacturing is our "job" -
our income. We4 keep spending yet have nothing to exchange. Small wonder the
dollar is becoming toilet paper.

  Kirk

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Meet the Economist Who Thinks We're Doomed

By Stephen Mihm, The New York Times

Posted on August 18, 2008, Printed on August 18, 2008

http://www.alternet.org/story/95375/

On Sept. 7, 2006, Nouriel Roubini, an economics professor at New York
University, stood before an audience of economists at the
International Monetary Fund and announced that a crisis was brewing.
In the coming months and years, he warned, the United States was
likely to face a once-in-a-lifetime housing bust, an oil shock,
sharply declining consumer confidence and, ultimately, a deep
recession. He laid out a bleak sequence of events: homeowners
defaulting on mortgages, trillions of dollars of mortgage-backed
securities unraveling worldwide and the global financial system
shuddering to a halt. These developments, he went on, could cripple
or destroy hedge funds, investment banks and other major financial
institutions like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.