some other tips to prevent stealing of crops :

If you don't like to go for 10 feet high barbed and electrified wire;
a small trick that sometimes helps is put up a sign that the crops are just
sprayed
with something toxic.

Or if you have some fence, put up a sign of " beware of the dog  " with a
picture of a big scary dog on it.

Grow an hedge around the garden with sticky needles on it, they'll chose an
easier garden to rob.

A pair of goose ducks or turkey's are good watch dogs and keep 'm out.
( if you have some separate space around the vegie garden )

grts
Bruno M.