>This explains how trees can raise  water to their tops beyond the 32 feet
>limit said an ecstatic Mr Fletcher.  He believes that the discovery also
>suggests a
> mechanism by which all life on  earth has evolved from the ground."

     The generally accepted theory explaining the movement of water in
plants is The Cohesion-Tension Theory. The movement of water to heights of
20 meters to the tops of oak trees and even 125 meters to the tops of tall
redwoods is a solar powered event.
Water is a polar molecule. The positively charged hydrogens of one water
molecule are attracted to the negatively charged oxygen of neighboring water
molecules. The cohesion resulting from these attractions is so great that
the tensile strength in a thin column of water can be as much as 140Kg per
square cm. (2000Lbs per square inch). This means that a negative pressure of
140Kg per square cm is required to pull the column apart.
     Water loss (transpiration) powers water movement through plants. As
water evaporates from a leaf, water from tracheids and vessels moves into
the leaf. They, in turn are linked to others, forming a long, continuous
stream of water reaching all the way down into the root hairs, and even into
the surrounding soil. Increase transpiration ---> increase water uptake and
the rate of water movement in plants.
                                         Tom