Johann Hari: You are being lied to about  pirates
_http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-y
ou-are-being-lied-to-about-pirates-1225817.html_
(http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-you-are-being-lied-to-about-
pirates-1225817.html)

Some are clearly just gangsters. But others are  trying to stop illegal
dumping and trawling

Monday, 5 January 2009

Who imagined that in 2009, the world's governments would be  declaring a
new War on Pirates? As you read this, the British Royal Navy –  backed by the
ships of more than two dozen nations, from the US to China – is  sailing
into Somalian waters to take on men we still picture as  parrot-on-the-shoulder
pantomime villains. They will soon be fighting Somalian  ships and even c
hasing the pirates onto land, into one of the most broken  countries on earth.
But behind the arrr-me-hearties oddness of this tale, there  is an untold
scandal. The people our governments are labelling as "one of the  great
menaces of our times" have an extraordinary story to tell – and some  justice
on
their side.

Pirates have never been quite who we think they are. In  the "golden age of
piracy" – from 1650 to 1730 – the idea of the pirate as the  senseless,
savage Bluebeard that lingers today was created by the British  government in
a great propaganda heave. Many ordinary people believed it was  false:
pirates were often saved from the gallows by supportive crowds. Why? What  did
they see that we can't? In his book Villains Of All Nations, the historian
Marcus Rediker pores through the evidence.

If you became a merchant or navy sailor then – plucked  from the docks of
London's East End, young and hungry – you ended up in a  floating wooden
Hell. You worked all hours on a cramped, half-starved ship, and  if you slacked
off, the all-powerful captain would whip you with the Cat O' Nine  Tails. If
you slacked often, you could be thrown overboard. And at the end of  months
or years of this, you were often cheated of your wages.

Pirates were the first people to rebel against this world.  They mutinied –
and created a different way of working on the seas. Once they  had a ship,
the pirates elected their captains, and made all their decisions
collectively, without torture. They shared their bounty out in what Rediker
calls
"one of the most egalitarian plans for the disposition of resources to be
found anywhere in the eighteenth century".

They even took in escaped African slaves and lived with  them as equals.
The pirates showed "quite clearly – and subversively – that  ships did not
have to be run in the brutal and oppressive ways of the merchant  service and
the Royal Navy." This is why they were romantic heroes, despite  being
unproductive thieves.

The words of one pirate from that lost age, a young  British man called
William Scott, should echo into this new age of piracy. Just  before he was
hanged in Charleston, South Carolina, he said: "What I did was to  keep me from
perishing. I was forced to go a-pirateing to live." In 1991, the
government of Somalia collapsed. Its nine million people have been teetering on

starvation ever since – and the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen
this as a great opportunity to steal the country's food supply and dump our
nuclear waste in their seas.

Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone,  mysterious
European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping  vast
barrels
into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first  they
suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005
tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People
began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.

Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy to Somalia, tells me:  "Somebody is
dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead, and heavy metals  such as
cadmium and mercury – you name it." Much of it can be traced back to  European
hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian  mafia
to "dispose" of cheaply. When I asked Mr Ould-Abdallah what European
governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: "Nothing. There has been
no clean-up, no compensation, and no prevention."

At the same time, other European ships have been looting  Somalia's seas of
their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own  fish stocks by
overexploitation – and now we have moved on to theirs. More than
$300m-worth of tuna, shrimp, and lobster are being stolen every year by illegal

trawlers. The local fishermen are now starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman
in
 the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is
done,  there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."

This is the context in which the "pirates" have emerged.  Somalian
fishermen took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers,  or at
least
levy a "tax" on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coastguard  of
Somalia – and ordinary Somalis agree. The independent Somalian news site
WardheerNews found 70 per cent "strongly supported the piracy as a form of
national defence".

No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes,  some are
clearly just gangsters – especially those who have held up World Food
Programme
supplies. But in a telephone interview, one of the pirate leaders,  Sugule
Ali: "We don't consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits  [to
be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas." William Scott would
understand.

Did we expect starving Somalians to stand passively on  their beaches,
paddling in our toxic waste, and watch us snatch their fish to  eat in
restaurants in London and Paris and Rome? We won't act on those crimes –  the
only
sane solution to this problem – but when some of the fishermen  responded by
disrupting the transit-corridor for 20 per cent of the world's oil  supply,
we swiftly send in the gunboats.

The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarised by  another pirate,
who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and  brought
to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know "what he meant by keeping
possession of the sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you mean by
seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a
robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor." Once
again, our great imperial fleets sail – but who is the robber?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

 (http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm)