This is not a new concept and maybe it is time
for it again. Since I have the years, I do
remember the 1950´s and the three wheel
Messerschmidth that a friend of mine had and
which I tried a few times. The VW concept is a modern version of it,

It was also an other one in this class, forgot
the name. like a bubble with the whole front as
door. I drove that one too.

Both of those cars were out competed by the VW
Beetle, so it is quite a full circle, when
VW now is working on a new concept car like this.

Hakan

At 07:50 AM 5/13/2009, you wrote:
>There are a couple of things that bother me about this.
>
>1. If it's aimed at China it is intended to
>replace not a full-size American pick-up truck
>but a bicycle. That is to say, it is intended to
>increase dependence on motor vehicles in a
>context that has survived on bicycles and feet
>for a long time: though my suspicion is that
>that state of affairs was hitherto maintained
>through force rather than sound spatial
>planning. But even then, is it not better to
>introduce sound spatial planning to suit the
>bicycles, rather than cars to suit the unsound spatial planning?
>
>2. That level of aerodynamic efficiency etc.
>rather suggests high-speed movement along roads
>of very good quality. How suitable is this
>vehicle for bad roads? How suitable is this
>vehicle for roads intended primarily for
>pedestrians, bicycles, hand-carts, animal-drawn
>carts, etc. because there aren't enough motor
>vehicles to warrant special high-speed roads? Or
>must one increase the vehicle fleet in order to
>justify the roads in order to justify this
>"paragon of efficiency" vehicle? It's the same
>problem I have with the Aptera: the whole
>business of aerodynamics for efficiency is
>overblown and misplaced. It's making the problem
>big enough to suit the solution, rather than
>small enough not to need a solution.
>
>3. Where does the pig go? Where does the bolt of
>cloth go? Where does M. Boulanger's basket of
>eggs go, if it was a very large basket he had in
>mind? This vehicle seems aimed primarily at
>moving one or two people with briefcases a
>fairly long distance, regularly, at a fairly
>high speed, between a place of residence and
>another place where one does something more or
>less senseless in order to get money to pay for
>the vehicle, among other things. Is it desirable
>to introduce this pattern where it does not
>exist? Is it desirable to turn almost-peasants
>into wage-slave commuters, when the system of
>economy that supports that pattern is the very
>cause of the problem this vehicle purports to
>solve? If the almost-peasants were instead to
>become proper peasants, true yeomen, the problem would virtually go away.
>
>Best regards
>
>Dawie Coetzee

Hakan Falk
http://energysavingnow.com/
http://linkslujo.com/ and http://lujo.com/
Tel. Spain +34 972 32 05 89
Tel. Sweden +46 (0)40 692 82 10  (skype)
Skype user hakanfalk