The Environmental Assault
We and our children are exposed to toxins invisibly,  stealthily, without
our knowledge. The U.S. now makes or imports 42 billion  pounds of chemicals
per day (not even counting pesticides, drugs, food additives  or polymers).

Causing Harm
POISONED PROFITS, based on more than five years of  investigative research
and reporting, reveals the cumulative scientific evidence  connecting the
massive increase in environmental poisons to the epidemic of  autism and ADHD,
birth defects, asthma, and cancer among our nation´s children.

The Manufacturers and Their Defense Team
The authors conclude that the poisoning of the environment is  as grave a
threat to the future as any problem confronting our nation. Why?
Corporations control the system, molding laws to their liking. The book shines
a  light
on the motives and means of corporate-paid lawyers, **product defense**
companies, fake grassroots groups, research centers and scientists.

The Victims
POISONED PROFITS, cast as a crime story, relates what happens  to the
victims-the families and communities polluted by different toxic  substances-by
pesticides, nuclear waste, industrial chemicals, air pollutants.  Here are
the stories of Dickson, Tennessee, where an extraordinary number of  babies
were born with cleft lips and palates after landfill chemicals seeped  into
the water; and Port Neches, Texas, where so many graduates of a high school
near a petrochemical plant contracted cancer that it was nicknamed **Leukemia
 High** ; and a small brother and sister in Indiana who, exposed to
pesticides,  slipped into severe retardation.

Genes + The Environment
In layman´s language, the book explains how genes and the  environment act
upon each other, how mental and behavioral illnesses can be
environmentally-triggered, affecting both the body and mind. And it explains
the  ways in
which the fetus and young child are much more vulnerable than adults.  Our
nation picks up the tab for these illnesses-POISONED PROFITS gives the  dollar
figures for reduced productivity on one hand, the staggering cost of care
for sick children on the other.

Solutions
Instead of fighting against disability and disease with cures,  a
never-ending struggle, the authors affirm that we now have the knowledge to
prevent
harm and they describe the solutions. POISONED PROFITS demonstrates how
people are fighting back, whether through grassroots parents´ groups, the rise
of *ecotheology* or the new **green chemistry** that replaces bad elements
with  harmless ones. The Shabecoffs also include a guide for parents on how
to reduce  toxic risks to their children in their everyday lives.

POISONED PROFITS was researched and written with support from  the Ford, V.
Kann Rasmussen, Heinz Family and Rockefeller foundations, under the
sponsorship of Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility. Physicians
for Social Responsibility and the Institute for Children*s Environmental
Health  are current sponsors. Some of the nation*s leading environmental health

scientists served as advisors to the book. Available wherever books are
sold, or  through _www.poisonedprofits.com_ (http://www.poisonedprofits.com) .

 (http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm)