Hi Chris,
Thanks kindly for your perspective. But I think I've not expressed
the concern clearly.

Most of the oil is in the sawdust, and on the ground, the nearbyd
soil and foliage. As the USFS says "Each year, thousands of gallons
of oil go into the forest and never come back out". Dino bones are
clearly a *bad thing* in this context.

However, getting the facts in this case is less clear than one
may expect at first blush. For one thing, all kinds of stuff
is considered 'food safe', that upon closer inspection, clearly
isn't.

Case in point, most if not all of the 'canola' (canadian oil, or
rapeseed) is GMO. Everything that goes into your compost ends
up in your food, which ends up in you. The fact that folks consider
GMO foods 'safe' in no way makes it true. It *may* be true, but
this is another case where it's assumed to be so because it's
difficult to prove otherwise. Not a great protocol.

Oh, maybe I didn't mention, the idea is to recover the sawdust
to use in composting.

I've tried to talk to the folks at Fungi Perfecti (llc) who are
developing a mushroom spore infused chain saw bar oil. I think
that's a very cool idea. However, they won't come off the
science on the oil itself. Or at least, not to me.

Imagine if you will, a conversation that goes like this:

Assertion, Chain Saw Bar Oil is a problem:
Answer, We'll use vegetable oil, it's organic, so it's perfect!
The world: Great! Let us go forth and spew vegetable oil
in place of petro-based oil, make the world better.

Me: 'Umm, are there any problems with vegetable oil in
this context?'
Answer: "nyah nyah nyah, we can't hear your question"
Me: 'It's cool that folks are trying to do better,
but is better good enough?'
Answer: 'nyah nyah nyah, we can't hear your question"

And so on.

And yes, to your point, if you do things correctly, then
you shouldn't cook the oil on the bar/chain. I use a water
drip to help keep things cool. It helps with my bar and
chain sharpness life too. But that doesn't make it
a non-issue.

Chris Burck wrote:
> chip, i can't offer an expert opinion, but i'm happy to offer my
> perspective.  even with the heat and pressure that will occur when
> making a cut, i really have serious doubts that such conditions are
> extreme or prolonged enough to alter the oil either (a) much (if at
> all) beyond what has already been done to it by the manufacturer (it
> may be canola-based, but it's been altered to withstand higher heat
> and pressure), or (b) to the point that it would be comparably nasty
> to dino-based oils.  you also have to bear in mind that the quantities
> of oil in question are very small, smaller still when you consider
> that some of it is clinging to the board and not the sawdust (not to
> diminish the issue, by any means).  so to me the issue is more a
> question of determining why the oil merits being labelled
> 'environmental' to begin with.  is it because it (or what gets left
> behind after a cut) is substantially less toxic than dino oil (my
> inclination would be to suspect so), or simply because of the raw
> materials from which it is made?  the only way to satisfactorily
> answer these questions is by getting data. :)

---
Chip Mefford
Before Enlightenment;
  chop wood