Aarghh!!!

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/13/usa-today-dietitian-recom_n_258691.html>

USA Today Dietitian Recommends Eating McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell And
Burger King On The Today Show (VIDEO)

Huffington Post   |  Katherine Goldstein

First Posted: 08-13-09

On The Today Show, Matt Lauer hosted dietitian Elizabeth Ward to
discuss how to make "healthy" food choices on a road trip. Virtually
the only measure Ward used to evaluate what was healthy was how many
calories is in it.

She started out with breakfast at McDonalds, stating she was a big
proponent of eating eggs. She recommended scrambled eggs and an
English muffin. (This item doesn't actually appear on the menu, but
these ingredients are served at McDonalds -- maybe she was suggesting
making a special order, or throwing out the rest?)

For the record, scrambled eggs at McDonalds, which one could easily
mistake for being comprised of well, eggs, actually contain the
following:

>Pasteurized whole eggs with sodium acid pyrophosphate, citric acid
>and monosodium phosphate (added to preserve color), nisin
>(preservative). Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil,
>water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, hydrogenated
>cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate
>and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric
>acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

She goes on to recommend Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC Grilled Chicken
(HuffPost bloggers have had a field day with this "healthy"
alternative) and processed and packaged snacks.
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paula-crossfield/oprah-gives-out-free-kfc_b_198058.html>

While Ward and Lauer tout the value of eating fruit as a healthy
snack, for the most part this dietitian throws her support behind the
idea that processed fast food, filled with additives, preservatives
and factory farmed meat is good for us, as long as it doesn't exceed
a certain number of calories.

My favorite thing to eat while traveling, food I made at home and
bring with me, was not mentioned as an option.

For a full list of what Ward thinks is healthy to eat, check out her
USA Today article.

<http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2009-08-12-diet-travel_N.htm>

Steer toward healthy road food

By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY

Hungry highway travelers often stop at convenience stores, gas
station snack shops or fast-food restaurants and hit high-calorie
potholes. They end up grabbing giant candy bars, big bags of chips,
fries, hamburgers, fried chicken, hot dogs, doughnuts and humongous
sugary drinks.

But you don't have to throw your good nutrition intentions out the
window when you're on the road, says registered dietitian Elizabeth
Ward of Reading, Mass., a nutrition blogger for USA TODAY.

Ward visited convenience stores and other typical highway food stops
in search of better eating options for a joint project between USA
TODAY and NBC's Today show.

Yes, most of these stores feature high-calorie, high-fat foods that
are best left on the shelf, but Ward found plenty of foods that could
be combined to make "good meals, not meal wreckers. The most
satisfying snacks and meals deliver protein and fiber - nutrients
that have staying power."

They help you feel full longer "and will keep you from pulling off
the road in a hour or so to fill up your belly," says Ward, who is
the author of several nutrition books including Expect the Best: Your
Guide to Healthy Eating Before, During and After Pregnancy.

"How much you should eat each day varies depending on your age,
gender and activity level," she says. "Most adults need about 2,000
calories a day, so you should probably try to stick with meals that
are about 550 calories or less and two daily snacks with no more than
250 calories each." With that in mind, she created a list of
recommendations.

Ward gives hungry travelers some smart snack and meal ideas:

Snacks that are 250 calories or less from convenience stores or gas
station marts:

*Two small Fig Newtons, 8 ounces low-fat milk, one small apple.

*3-ounce can of Fritos Bean Dip, 1-1/2-ounce-bag of Baked Lay's Potato Crisps.

*8-ounce carton of 1% milk or container of low-fat yogurt and single
serving of Cheerios.

*3/4 ounce cheddar cheese and 5 cups popped light microwave popcorn.
That's about a mini-bag or half of a regular bag. Some brands are
lower in calories than others. Some stores have a microwave so you
can pop it there.

*12-ounce container of V8 Vegetable Juice and 1 ounce of peanuts
(about 25 nuts).

*Single serving (7.5 ounces) of Chef Boyardee Beefaroni and small apple.

*1 ounce string cheese and half an 8-ounce can of pineapple.

*Hard-cooked egg, medium banana.

Meals that are under 550 calories from fast-food restaurants and
convenience stores:

Breakfast

McDonald's:

        *       Egg McMuffin, small orange juice.
        *       Fruit and yogurt parfait with granola, English muffin
with two packets whipped margarine, 8 ounces of 1% low-fat milk.
        *       Two scrambled eggs, English muffin with two packets
whipped margarine, small orange juice.

Burger King:

        *       French toast sticks (five pieces), carton of fat-free milk.
        *       Ham omelet sandwich, 10-ounce orange juice.

Convenience store:

        *       Single serving of Cheerios, low-fat milk, banana and
hard-boiled egg.

Lunch or dinner

        *       McDonald's: Cheeseburger, premium Caesar salad
(without chicken or salad dressing), vanilla reduced-fat ice cream
cone.
        *       Chicken Selects premium breast strips (three pieces),
box of apple juice.

        *       Burger King: BK Burger Shots (two-pack of mini beef
patties), side garden salad with Ken's light Italian dressing,
fat-free milk.
        *       Kraft macaroni and cheese, 1% low-fat chocolate milk,
two packages BK apple fries (slices).

        *       Subway: 6-inch roast beef sub on whole-wheat bun,
Baked Lays Potato Crisps, apple slices.
        *       6-inch vegetarian sub on whole-wheat bun, Baked Lays
Potato Crisps, Dannon Light and Fit yogurt.

        *       Wendy's: Ultimate chicken grill sandwich, side salad
and light ranch dressing.
        *       Mandarin chicken salad with grilled chicken filet.
        *       Premium fish filet, side order of mandarin oranges.

        *       KFC: Grilled chicken breast, side order cole slaw,
small corn on the cob.

        *       Taco Bell: Fresco bean burrito, Mexican rice.

        *       Convenience store: Half roast beef and cheddar wrap,
cup of fresh fruit, 8 ounces of 1% low-fat milk.
        *       Chef Boyardee Beefaroni (7.5-ounce can that can be
heated in the store's microwave), eight Triscuits, apple, 12 ounces
of 1% low-fat milk.